Chapter 8: Wrong Decisions

Staring at the ceiling, I can't help but think about Miss Collins. I told her about my past and the hell I went though, and she couldn't give me the same thing. All I wanted was to know her but when I asked her, she shut me out and told me to leave.

She still continues to play these mind games.

I roll onto my side and stare out the window. Why did I have to have feelings for her? Why couldn't I just control myself and say the hell with it? There's something mysterious about her and I want to know what. I can't help but think that maybe this is risky and I should just back off. I mean, if I did find out about whatever she was hiding, could I handle it?

The way she shut me out after asking a simple question, the way her eyes held so much darkness. Maybe she wasn't as innocent as she seems.

But that's what was drawing me towards her.

Nobody has made me chase them before. Maybe Miss Collins is worth the fight.

I've been getting up early for the last week. Only because of Miss Collins. That woman has already changed me. Hmm.

Shane is out again, I think he's signing up for college classes because he's been telling our grandparents the kind of studying he wants to major in and he's already visited the college. I think it's like an extra thirty miles away from here, but at least he's doing something with his life.

Our parents wouldn't care one bit. If they did, where are they?

They never once called or came by. Our grandparents never moved, so they should know where we are. But like I said, they don't care. They never did.

I make my way into school. I'm an extra twenty minutes early, which I never am. I don't understand why I'm here so damn early.

Oh yeah.

Miss Collins.

After she rudely told me to leave yesterday, I couldn't help but wonder if she's mad that I asked her to share some details about herself. I mean, I'm not talking crazy details, just a few to let me know her a little better. I did share personal details about my life, why the hell can't she tell me hers? It couldn't be worse than mine, could it?

I'm standing in front of her classroom door and since there's a small window in the door, I can peek in without opening it.

I see Miss Collins sitting at her desk, on the phone. She doesn't look too happy. I wonder who she's talking to? Without giving it much thought, I open the door and welcome myself in. Miss Collins hasn't heard me and she's now facing the other way. This gives me enough time to eavesdrop on her phone conversation.

"No.. I understand.. I just thought we could meet up but if you can't, that's understandable.. No, it's fine.. Alright.. Love you too. Bye" She hangs up the phone and sighs then turns around and nearly jumps out of her skin when she notices me. I hold in my laugh by pressing my lips together.

I cross my arms and look at her, "Sorry for scaring you."

She shakes her head, "You shouldn't be in here, Aubrey."

I walked towards her, "I came to talk to you. If that's alright."

She looked at me and crossed her arms, "I don't want to talk."

I rolled my eyes and sat on her desk and looked her over. Why did she continue to play these mind games? Did she have any idea that she was hurting me?

"I told you almost everything about me. About my fucked up past and all I want from you is to know more about you! Why is that so hard?" She sighed and ran her hand through her hair then looked somewhere else.