Chapter 13: A Visit

"Aubrey, are you even listening?"

I sat up on Toby's bed and looked at him. It's been a week since we found out about Miss Collins' family history, and Toby is training me on what to say when we go to visit Jeff.

It turns out that Jeff is in a state prison located about five hundred miles from here. It's far, but at least there's no way in hell that he can touch Miss Collins.

Toby has been telling me what I should say for about an hour now. He doesn't want us to blow our cover, so we have to act like we know Jeff, but not Miss Collins. If he finds out that we know her, he could get someone on the outside to go and track her down.

I sighed, "Yes, I am listening. I'm just ready to go and get some answers."

He crossed his arms, "If you don't know what to say, then how are you going to get the answers you need? One slip up, and you could blow this whole thing. You're the one who wanted to visit him, this crazy, fucked up man, who could kill us with his eyes closed, so you need to pay attention."

I nodded and listened to him for the next hour in a half.

I laid back on his bed and stared at the ceiling. "Miss Collins better be worth it. I don't usually go out of my way to try and make a girl mine."

Toby sat next to me, "You never went out of your way for anyone. Miss Collins has changed you." I nodded and took a deep breath.

All this shit that I have went through for the past month, because of her, I never did anything like this. But Miss Collins is different. I want to know everything about her. I still don't understand how this woman affected me so damn much.

I've only known her for a month.

Toby pats my leg, "You ready?"

I sit up and look at him, "Hell yes."

We've been driving for a couple of hours. Toby's parents were a little skeptical when we told them that we were going to a friends house and staying the night. I hate lying to them, because they've done so much for me, but this was important. I don't know how long this will take or when we will be back.

I stare out of the window and admire the view. The landscape is beautiful and the little houses located out in the middle of nowhere. Where nobody can mess with them. When I graduate and go off to college, I hope it's as far away from my hometown as possible. I have too many memories there and I don't want anything to do with it anymore.

I hate to leave Shane and my grandparents, but they'll understand when I get into a college. They'll be supportive of me no matter what I choose. I just need to get away from there.

I'll even take Miss Collins with me.

I smile as the thought processes in my mind. Miss Collins and I finally together, living together, being happy. No worries at all. Finally being able to show each other the love that we've both been missing all these years.

We come to a stop and I snap out of my daydream to see us parked outside of a building. I start feeling nervous as I look over at Toby who looks at me, "Are you ready?"

I nodded, "It's now or never."

We get out and head inside.

The main entrance was fairly big. It had plenty of chairs for visitors to sit and wait, and one big desk in the far back. We walk up to the desk and lady asks us who we're here to see. I look over at Toby who talks to the lady, "We're here to see Jeff Collins." The lady types on the computer then looks at us, "I'll need some identification." Toby nodded and took his ID out as I did mine.