Chapter Six-VI

Chapter 6

I had no idea what time it was, or how long I had been sleeping. From my guess though, it was about midnight. I believed it. I didn’t get much sleep the past few days. I wasn’t too hungry, just a little thirsty. I looked around for a bottle of water, but there wasn’t any around. I decided to go out and find some and I would have asked where the river was, but no one was up. I put on my worn out boots and started out of the cave. I also grabbed the sword just in case. I walked out of the cave feeling a bit brave for myself since everything that’s been happening. It last for about ten seconds until a rabbit came tearing out of a bush behind me. I almost shrieked in terror, but I decided it wouldn’t be a good idea. 

About a half hour later, I found the river just from listening around me. It was easy to find since the rushing water was making a loud powerful sound. I dipped my hand into the water feeling the cool liquid run through my fingers. I took out the bottles I brought with me and filled them up to the top. If it hadn’t been so cold, I probably would have ended up dipping my head into it as well, but I refrained. I scooped up as much water as I could in my hand and put it to my mouth. It had the same effect as it did on me yesterday too. I sat there feeling the cool November breeze on my face. I was thankful that it hadn’t started to snow for the season yet. 

After I sat there for another ten minutes enjoying the cool night, I started my way back. It was a little hard to see my way back. I tried to make my way the same way I came, but I couldn’t see anything so I had no landmarks guiding me back. The only light was the moon and it wasn’t too much of help because it was covered by the clouds tonight. I eventually stumbled into the cave and saw the dim fire that was almost out. I also saw four pairs of eyes turn and look at me. 

“Oh crap,” I said as I walked in and realized I probably should have told someone where I was going before I had left. Whoops. My mistake.

“Where were you!?” yelled Alix.

“Umm...I just went to go find more water...is that alright with you?” I asked.

“No. We were so worried about you. We thought someone had come for you in the night. Then where would we be?” Cherie said. She did have an extremely good point. 

“Sorry...” I mumbled. I should really think sometimes before I act. I’d always acted before thinking, which landed me in a lot of trouble sometimes back when I had a normal life. Now I would really have to start thinking, or I could be in a great quantity of trouble. Something along the lines of lost, captured, or dead. 

“Did you find any water then?” Lync asked trying to ease the tension. I could definitely tell that they were mad at me. 

“Well yeah,” I said to them as I held up the three bottles of water. 

“Good. Now we have some water supply. We just need some food.” Lync stated. As he said it I remembered that I saw some lights of a small town just beyond the river. I didn’t realize what it was at first, but that was the only thing that would make sense. 

“Wait!” I almost yelled as I realized what I’d seen, “I think that when I went to go get the water, I saw some lights in the distance, just beyond the river. Let’s go there. They should have a little gas station or something so we can get some food there.” 

“We’ll go when the sun comes up,” Lync announced then went to go sit down by the dying fire. Jason realized what I was thinking and added some more wood to the fire and made it a bit bigger so we wouldn’t freeze to death in here. I put on another sweatshirt that I had in my bag because I was freezing. I sat down close to the fire so I would warm up at least a little bit. I was excited to go to the little town near the river because I haven’t seen civilization in days. It was exciting for me. I haven’t been away from anywhere this long. I had no idea where we were, but I was certainly alright with that.