Chapter Five-V

Chapter 5

We walked all day, only stopping for short breaks. It was a bit of an overcast, but that was alright with me. We weren’t wearing bright clothes so we didn’t stand out...a whole lot. I mean, it’s not every day you see a group of kids wandering through an empty field. At least no one was around.       

I kept looking behind me, even though I knew that the others probably would have gotten a good sense of someone coming before I would, of course. I was a little afraid of Pierce coming back for me. I knew I really shouldn’t be worried because we were moving to a different place, but I still hadn’t figured out how they had found us in the forest before. I was cautious about where we were heading because I honestly had no idea where we were, what time of day it was, or even what day it was. I didn’t want to be caught somewhere that we could be found too easily. I just didn’t want us to be separated for too long again. Maybe a while after the last incident I wouldn’t be so frightened, but for now, I’m just going to stick with the group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometime around dawn the next day, we arrived in a small, dreary, dark, damp cave. It wasn’t cozy, but it would do for a night. That’s all I wanted to stay in one stop for. Oe night, because as I said before I didn’t want to take any risks staying in one spot for too long. 

We settled down in a little corner and got comfortable, well as comfortable as we could, and put down the sleeping bags we brought with us so we wouldn’t get wet when we laid down to sleep. If we could. When it would come to close my eyes and try to sleep, I didn’t know if I would be able to. I wasn’t sure if I would have dreams of Pierce and where Sakura was, and if she was alright. It scared me to think about that. All I could do was pray that she was safe and we would see her soon. 

Jason lit a fire in the middle of us so we would stay warm over the chilly November night. No one talked for a while. We were all cold, tired, thirsty, and hungry from our journey here. It’s not fun walking on foot, with nothing much to drink or eat for almost twelve hours. When I finally spoke, my voice was raspy, and it was almost hard to speak. My throat was raw from the lack of water, and I knew we needed to find some soon. 

“I think we should look around for some water, before one of us passes out or something soon,” I tell them wearily. I was so tired. It just hit me like ten tons of cement blocks. I just wanted to curl up in a warm place with blankets over me and sleep for a thousand years. 

“I think so too, it would be good to find an extra bottle or something in out backpacks, so we can keep an extra supply for our later trips.” Cherie suggested. Her voice sounded almost as bad as mine. 

“Yeah, I think that’s a good idea, the guys can go find the water and we can stay behind and find something to eat.” I said to all of them. The guys groaned.

“Why do we have to?” They asked.

“Because, I want you to, and do you know how to cook?” I asked, matter of factly.

“No...” Lync said. 

“Didn’t think so.” I said to them. They got up and walked over by me to look through the bags for a few empty bottles, or any containers that would hold water. They found at least three and walked outside. It was almost daylight, so they shouldn’t have any trouble seeing what was going on. Cherie and I went through the bags looking for anything to eat. We found some Beef Jerky, I didn’t know how well that would be for breakfast, but at least it was something. We also found some crackers and some stale bread. It wasn’t great, but it would do for now. I think I would take a risk to go to a near by town so we wouldn’t starve to death. I was thinking of trying to fry up the Beef Jerky, when the guys came back with three bottles full of water. 

“Where’d you guys find it all?” I asked surprised they found so much in such a short amount of time.

“There’s a river by this cave,” Alix said.

“Great, we can use that as a water source, we might need to find some more food soon too, I was hoping to find a town close to here so we can get some more food. I found at least a hundred dollars in a drawer before we left, so we can use that. Not all of it though.” I say happily. I grab some water from their hands. I gulp it down in a hurry. It felt so good on my dry and aching throat. 

“Ahh...” I breathed. It was delicious. I gulped down another. Mmm. I was so glad that there was a river near by so that way I could go crazy and drink all of it. It tasted good on my prickled tongue. The water may have been a bit dirty, but I didn’t mind. It tasted a lot better than our makeshift breakfast of beef jerky, toasted/burnt crackers, and stale bread. It wasn’t all you could hope for in a breakfast, but it would work for us. 

After our lame excuse of a breakfast we laid down to try and get some sleep. Earlier, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to sleep at all this morning, but I was wrong. I thought about our trip so far as I laid down, but I was soon a wave of unconsciousness washed over me and I was sleeping.