xix.

nineteen

it happened unconciously.

you know that feeling when something happens and you suddenly feel like your life finally has meaning, that if it this thing hadn't happen, you would soon crumble into pieces and no one would notice?

have you had that feeling?

it happened unconciously— his hand crept into his underneath the table, resting atop with just the right amount of touch and pressure. it wasn't supposed to happen. none of this was supposed to happen.

harry wasn't supposed to here. he wasn't supposed to come here looking like he did— with riddles, and questions all over him. with rose petals for cheeks, and shattered glass for eyes. he wasn't supposed to look at louis like he knew him. he wasn't supposed to have that glint in his eyes like he loved him. he wasn't supposed to.

but he did.

he was here— looking like questions and riddles and rose petals for cheeks, and shattered glass for eyes and he did look at louis like he knew him and he did have that glint on his eyes like he loved him. he was here.

and louis knew that, right? that he was supposed to be here? after all, it was a family reunion and everyone was here and harry is a part of the family. louis knew that, deep down, he did. but he still came. and for what?

when he knew that harry would be here, and he knew that it'd break his heart; why'd he come? there was something unconditionally familiar and unfamiliar at the same in his heart during the drive to the cabin. what was it? fear?

or was it hope?

____

harry's hand was still gently resting upon louis' and it was the single most confusing moment that had happened in his life. he looked up to see harry's face completely natural, talking to his cousins and whatnot but then, maybe because he felt louis' icy stare, he glanced over with nothing but sincerity in his eyes.

louis decided to think nothing of the fact that they were kind of holding hands throughout dinner, warmth radiating from there adjoined hands to their hearts.

"so, have you got anything to say to us, louis, harry?" louis' granddad suddenly said. the table fell quiet and louis stuttered. he quicky let go of harry's hand.

"huh?"

"well, how's school and everything going? you've gotta listen, lad! might need a hearing like me." he chuckled as well as everybody else.

"well, i'm nearly done with my novel." harry pitched in.

"really?"

"oh my gosh, harry!"

"that's amazing!"

number of voices cheered with joy.

"thankyou! thankyou." he laughed, blushing.

"well when can we read it?" amber questioned.

"what is it about?" someone else piped in.

"is it about a girl? aw!" another voice gushed.

"uh.." harry chuckled.

"tell us!" jay beamed.

"well, he could tell you guys, if you could shut up for a second." louis sighed and looked down. the table fell quiet and he could hear aunt becky rolling her eyes.

"damn, louis, when did you get so sassy?" amber laughed.

"ever since people needed to shut up so harry could say what he's trying to say. so stop interrupting." he rolled his eyes. harry was quiet the whole time.

"well, the book's about a guy losing the love of his life."

louis turned his head around so fast he thought he had sprained his neck. but no, maybe it was just his aching heart.

"harry, man, that's some depressing shit right there." louis' annoying relative, steve said while chewing his gum with his mouth open and the sounds loud.

"definitely something you'd do." steve's twin, john, chuckled while pointing towards harry.

"oh hush, boys!" their mum waved her arm.

"we—" jay started.

"ignore those idiots, i'd love to read it once you're finished, harry." louis interrupted, smiled with his eyes, and walked away.

he could hear john whining and his grandpa applauding.

___

"lou?" he heard harry's voice outside the door. he put the book he was reading aside and opened the door in seconds, suddenly facing a beanie covered harry with a red nose.

fuck.

"are you okay?" that's the first thing louis said as his eyes set on the older one's. harry nodded his head, sniffing.

"yeah, just caught a little cold somehow." he let out a breathy chuckle and cleared his throat. "anyway, uh— you said that you wanted to read the book so, um— i have the first draft. i-it's not, like, edited or anything so it might be cringy or ranty or just.. ugly. you don't ha—"

louis smiled, genuinely. he missed this; harry's rambling. it was one of his favourite things to see, cute as hell.

"i'll read anything that you've written, you know that. even if its a very cringy pun that deserves one star." he chuckled and lifted his palm up. he could see harry's eyes light on fire.

"you love my puns!" the long haired baby grumbled with a blush resting on his cheeks. because of that, louis could feel his own cheeks heat up. damnit.

"i do.." he mumbled, and when harry finally gave him the thick stack of papers, their fingertips touched and as chiché as it sounds, louis could feel flowers grow inside his stomach and bees buzzing in his chest.

"come inside, we'll get you a nice toasty blanket and some advil. come on!" louis urged him, feeling harry's hesitaion. finally, he complied.

"i'll also need some loving." harry teased as they both laughed of it. but who knows? he just might get it.

__

VOTE & COMMENT!! X