The Snow Infection

Bryce's P.O.V

“Wait. School’s cancelled? Who said so?” Tyler, or Wildcat, asks.

“No idea. Someone just announced it and it’s confirmed already.” I say.

“Let’s just hang out today then.” Jonathan says.

We all agree and just walk around town.

But something seems… off.

It was quieter.

The atmosphere felt… dead.

But I couldn’t hint what was wrong.

We walked back to my place since it started to rain.

“Something’s wrong.” I suddenly bring up.

“Let’s go back out then. Try to find someone.” Brock says.

“Is that even a good idea?” Jonathan says.

“We have no choice. There’s no signal. And confinement isn’t a good idea.” I say.

“Fine fine.” Tyler says.

For miles there was nothing. Nothing but dead silence. But the longer we walked through the dead town.

We found a hospital. People were stationed outside.

They stopped us. They weren’t the military or anything. Just normal people, but with guns. Just normal 92FS or something like that.

I couldn’t really tell.

“Identification.” They request.

“Bryceson McQuaid.” I say.

“Tyler Wilde.” Tyler says.

“Jonathan Dennis.” Jonathan says.

“Brock Ritter.” Brock says.

“Marcel Cunningham.” Marcel says.

“You. Your mother and her family is wondering where you have been.” One of them say, pointing at me.

“Where is she? Is she okay? Can we get an explanation to what’s happening?” I quickly ask. Not stumbling over my words.

“She’s fine. Her and her family are the ones leading this whole thing anyway. Now let’s go.” the man says and motions for us to enter. “Head to the 4th floor.”

“Thanks.” I say with a nod. “Let’s go. I want answers. And we’re getting it.”

We walk towards the elevator. It moves slowly. But I don’t complain.

The five of us wait in silence. Not like there’s anything to talk about either way.

The moment the elevator doors slide open. We’re welcomed by so many people constantly walking around.

Talking about stuff. All I could make out were the words “virus” and “infected”.

We step out of the elevator. Observing our surroundings. “Excuse me?” I speak up. Majority of the people stop and stare at us.

“You must be her kid. She was expecting you.” A lady says as she approached us. “Follow me. Everyone get back to work!”

We follow the lady in complete silence. But also complete curiosity.

“Ma’am? They’re here.” she says after a loud knock on the double doors. Which probably leads to a whole new area in the building. “You can go in.”

I smile and thank her. Then we go inside.

“Mom? Aunt Minx? Mom what’s going on? And aunt Minx, what are you doing here?” I quickly ask.