Chapter One: Unpleasant Dreams

I want to say Thanks to @LionheartedGirl_  who commented first. It means a lot to me.
Enjoy.

______

Chapter One: Unpleasant Dreams

I stared out the window as the rain gently tapped against the glass in a rhythmic pattern. Other cars flew past, splashing water from their back tires onto this busy road with a slick sloshing sound. Annoyingly my guardian, Melona continued to drive at her snail of a pace. All it was doing is prolonging the time to our house.

A recent rain storm made Melona, and her husband, Carvis, more cautious of their surroundings.  Within the last few days Melona started making sure all of the doors and all of the windows are locked before going to bed. She now always is making sure that I am always home on time, and not out past curfew.

She seems to becoming paranoid, almost like there is someone coming after them, us. Sometimes when they think that I cant hear them, they will talk about a 'great evil' returning, but by then they will realize I heard them and stop talking about it.

Sighing, I ignore the raging curiosity that has been burning within me, demanding that I ask what's going on before its too late. Something always tells me to stop, just before I get enough courage to go up and ask about it. They just say its nothing and bring up the annual trip to the cabin.

Ah the cabin, the one place that I truly feel like myself. Surrounded by the forest, lakes and ponds, having campfires every night. I always get to practice my archery in the forest with the watchful eyes of Carvis.

We will be starting to pack for the holidays tonight,  and then heading to the so called "family airloom" to spend a week there. Both Carvis and Melona have been hammering me about being safe, and that something will happen on this trip that's important. constantly being the ominous ones.

I just think that they had wanted to escape and go on a holiday without any one bothering us.

Melona has been having to scold me a lot more because I have been getting into some fights at school about being different,  unusual. I keep acting like it doesn't bother me, but then again, I have learned to shut down my emotions and act indifferent.

A trait that I had apparently inherited from my dad, Melona told me when she had first noticed how withdrawn I was towards her and everyone else at one point.

Sometimes I wish that we could go back into time and avoid the situations that got us to where we are today, but I know that its impossible, so I don't drag out that possibility.

Melona always said that everything happens for a reason, and its on us whether or not we choose to accept it.

Like loosing those who I thought were my friends hurts, but its something that you just need to forget to move on with our lives.

Sometimes I had hoped that they were just giving me some space, but I knew better when they ignored my texts and phone calls. even when they had started to avoid me in general, I knew the truth. I had sucked it up and hid my emotions making me look like I didn't care. But inside it felt like I was suffocating, dying from the inside out from lack of circulation.

Finding a group of friends were hard enough as it is since I am shy and normally unwanted for being weird. Weird only because my guardians 'came up' with a language that's not used here, so they tell me. That's why I highly cherished the group of friends that I had, and I thought they had at least the guts to tell me straight that they didn't like me.

Shaking my head slightly, I drew faces on the window revelling on the coolness of the glass pressed against my warm fingertips. Glancing at Melona from the corner of my eye, I noticed her frowning at me disapprovingly in the rear view mirror.