NINETEEN

• 1st Edit: 2/19/2015
• NEWLY UPDATED:
NOV. 2020

***!!!*!!*!*!!*!!!***
An IMPORTANT Author's Note at the END of this chapter!!!
***!!!*!!*!*!!*!!!***

~ | **-**-**- | R | -**-**-** | ~

Chapter NINETEEN

It wasn't long before we found the door we were looking for—you couldn't miss it; the door itself was gigantic, made up of a hunk of some sort of ultra-strong metal I had never seen before. The door stretched from the ceiling all the way down to the tiled floor, and in place of an ordinary door handle, there was a thick metal car-like steering wheel with a numbered dial system at its center, resembling a miniature bank vault. A big yellow notice sign was plastered across it in big black lettering.

CAUTION
Radioactive materials inside!

Below that was a picture of a figure wearing some bizarre hazard suit. I wasn't really sure what to make of it.

"Welp, I think this is the door we're looking for." Said Jane, the plastic covering over her face fogged up from her breath. I heard her chuckle at her weird "rhyming" joke; sometimes I think she was the one that needed a psychologist more than Rickie. Maybe both did.

"What does the picture at the bottom mean?" Jackie asked. She leaned forward, squinting up at it to read whatever was on the bottom of the picture. For the life of me, I couldn't read it. To be honest, any writing that was smaller than my pinky was too blurry for me to read.

Ella looked as well, and started to recite it aloud but I was too busy trying to turn the large dial wheel to listen.  "'Only authorized personnel wearing the required anti-ra—'"

"Okay, Rick. We need to get in and out of there as fast as possible. Any longer and we may be discovered." I told him, fighting with the large wheel. It wouldn't budge so we had to find an alternative.

Rickie was kneeling in front of the door, the datapad plugged into the side of the dial. It took less than a minute to bypass the lock and receive the correct code. After that, we were in.

Thank the lord for smart devices!

"Alright guys, let's go. Chop, chop!" I ordered, ushering them all into the room.

"Hey, don't you think—?" Jane began, before she was cut off from whatever she had been about to say.

"Shush, Jane. We have a job to do! Focus." Rickie hissed as we made our way into the Outer Chamber. The room was packed with filing cabinets, extra tech, mining equipment, and boxes in every corner, stacked on every wall and shelf. Plastic covered one section of the room and a zippered door served as the makeshift entrance. You couldn't see what lay beyond since the plastic wasn't see-through and there weren't any windows.

Before I followed them inside, I radioed up to Jax and Blake to let them know that we made it to the correct room. "If we lose signal in there, I just want you to know we'll try to be out in T-minus fifteen. Got it?"

"Aye, aye, Captain. See ya on the other side." Jax replied.

I followed everyone inside, making sure to shut the big metal door behind me. Inside, Rickie and Jane were going at it in a heated argument about something.

Jane was pleading to him with her big brown eyes. "But this is important! Don't you think that's a little odd? Maybe we're wearing the wrong kind of—"