Chapter 26 Late Night Talks

Chapter 26
Late night talks

Dominic

I can't sleep. It's nearly impossible every time I lay down my eyes are glued open. I'd been tossing and turning in bed until Colton kicked me out for moving so much. I decided not to bother Nic and just left to walk outside for a bit. It very late and nearly pitch black It's out but my eyes seem to adjust pretty well to the dark now. I see far more vibrantly than before.

It's nearly silent out except the call of the insects and occasional wolf howl in the distance. I walk down to the lake and take a seat at the waters edge before leaning back and gazing at the stars and moon. There's a few clouds drifting through the light but I can't see much.

The moon reflects almost perfectly on the waters surface illuminating the area surrounding as tiny hints of green flash occasionally above the waters surface. Frogs are singing in the woods with the grass hoppers and cicadas and an owl cries not too far away. I relax at the quiet and calming atmosphere. It's been so long since I've just taken some me time to relax. I think it's since that one night while camping when I couldn't sleep then too.

I feel so at home in these woods, like I've been here a million times but I know this is only my second. The air is chilly but nothing I can't handle.

I dont really know what time it is, the last I checked it was eleven but I think it's been hour since then. Nic has been up with Toby and a member of a neighbouring pack all night so I've been keeping my distance. I dont want to embarrass Nic in any way.

I cross my legs as I lean over and trace a finger through the shallow water to create waves. I made sure to sit far enough away so the tide wouldn't soak me but close enough to play. I dont know why but I've always felt comforted by water.

Just as I place my hand in the water a toad jump from its perch on a log into the water startling me slightly as my heart races for a brief second before I smile. I never even knew he was right next to me, that's why I like toads so much. They're almost invisible until they move. Plus they have cute chirps.

As I play in the water I start getting the feeling I'm being watched as I turn and look over my shoulder to see a slender girl walk to me before sitting down. It's Toby's mate, Amanda. I haven't seen her in a while, I wonder what she wants from me.

"Hi." She says softly? Her voice soft and childlike. Not high pitched just, innocent in a way.

"Um, hi." I state back as she smiles before turning and looking at the moon herself. I will admit she's very beautiful but here under the moon light she looks like a goddess. He long blonde hair looks white as it falls over her shoulders into soft curls. A soft smile continues on her lips as her glittering eyes stay trained on the sky. Her skin is almost glowing and the freckles on her face only highlight her features.

I catch myself staring before I turn quickly and look at the sky too. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" She asks me and i nod, feeling a smile creep onto my lips.

"Yeah it is." I breath looking at the stars painting intricate illusions in the sky. Her eyes turn back to me as I feel her gaze scan me like I had done to her.

"Why are you out here." She asks me, not rudely or negative in anyway, but in sheer curiosity.

"I couldn't sleep, and I didn't want to bother Nic so I came out here to clear my mind."

"What were you thinking about?"

"I dont know... everything I suppose. Nothing stayed in my head for long before I was thinking of something else. And it was starting to drive me insane. Everything from the moment I met Nic and Colton to this exact moment has been racing through my head. I'm worried and stressed, but I dont know why." I tell her glancing her way as she looks at the lake. She hums in understanding, letting me know she's listening to me.