Dan's POV

My walk to school was cold and foggy. School has always been difficult for me. It's like walking into a confusing sea of perfume and body odor. Everyone was a different color, none very pleasurable to me. 

    Except maybe Hanna. The name brought the smell of old books and a small trace of peonies. Her color was a subtle lilac, like the pretty pastel flowers that reminded you of a lovely Easter day. We have always been just friends though, no matter how pretty she was. I could never see her as anything more. 

    I kicked the dusty rocks out of my way. I remember when dad and I used to watch the old western movies together. They were never really my thing, but it was always fun. That's what the rocks reminded me of. A small smile spread across my face, yet I felt a small grey cloud deep down in my stomach. Dad, I miss dad. 

    I approached the school and looked at the people milling about. Hanna was waiting for me, radiating that pretty lilac color of hers. Oh, how I'd grown to like that color. "Hey Daniel," she said playfully, throwing her arm around me. 

    "Hey Lila-Hanna.. I'm sorry." 

     "It's alright, don't worry about it," she laughed. Her laugh was like the old music box my gram used to play for me while she told me all of her old stories.

    I grinned back at her. "Sorry, it's just sometimes... I just really love your color," I say softly.

    "Daniel, you're making me blush," she said, smacking me playfully on the arm.

    We walked into school together, wading through the sea of color. Then I saw it, the deep forest green. My stomach grew sick and I automatically felt his scent fall heavily upon me. It was a strong musk, and I wasn't even sure if that was his smell. Every time I saw him, this smell overcame my senses. Joshua, our school's jock.

    He strutted up to me, chest puffed out. "Hey faggot!"

    I cringed. I'm not gay. He towered over me, so all I saw was this dark forest green. "Well, answer me!"

    "Hi Joshua," I muttered softly.

    "And the freak show speaks!"

    His little posse laughs. I stay in place, frozen in fear. "Leave him alone," Hanna spat.

    "What'd you say pretty girl?"

    He reached out and stroked her cheek, pulling her close. Hanna struggled away. "Stop," I said, shoving him away.

    A deep, burning red filled the pit of my stomach. No one treats Hanna that way, especially not him. I shoved him away from her, breathing heavily. "Ooh, faggot, I'm so scared," he said, mock trembling.

    He shoved me against a locker, bashing my head into it, hard. "Touch me again with your fag germs, it'll be a whole lot worse," he growled.

    He gripped my fringe and shoved me to the floor. Cackling, he walked away.