| Chapter 11. |

The thunder crackled loudly, as Aaron pulled up his hood and hopped off the bus. Brooklyn theater was just down the street, the bodega next to it and he took no time to jog lightly there. His heart broke at the sight of Shianne on the curb, her face buried into her hands. Her shoulders moved up and down, and you could hear her sobbing from miles away. He could see that she didn't care that she was in the pouring rain, and that hurt him even more.

He ran up to where she was, taking a seat next to her on the curb and wrapping his large arms around her smaller frame. She tilted her head up, mascara running down her beautiful face as not only was her lip red and swollen now, but her eye had a black ring around it. Her wet clothes clung to her body, as he rocked her back and forth, rubbing circles around her back.

"Aaron, I'm so sorry," She bawled, wiping her eyes quickly as she pulled away from his arms. I just didn't know who else to call."

"Hush baby." Was all he said, standing up and wrapping his puffy winter jacket around her before he led her to the coffee shop next to the theater. They walked into the diner, catching weird glances from everyone around. It was suspicious, not that she was with the white boy, but that her face was covered in bruises. Aaron ran a tired hand through his own short hair before leading Shianne to a table where they were off by themselves.

"Do you see the way people are staring at us?" She lightly whispered, cutting eyes with another teenage girl. The girl's eyes darting back and forth from her and Aaron, a lump forming in Shianne's throat.

Aaron was handsome, and it was almost impossible for him not to catch the attention of every girl- no matter their race. And then, of course, Shianne was gorgeous. But with the way it seemed, it was hard for anyone to look away.

"Yeah, I see. Don't feed into it." Aaron mumbled, before calling the waitress over to them. She came then, and he took the job of ordering Shianne a hot chocolate with extra whipped cream and himself an order of donuts (which he knew she was going to eat) and an iced coffee.

"T... Thank you, for coming to get me Aaron." Shianne shivered, as Aaron turned to her with a furrowed eyebrow. He kept silent, staring her down before he responded. He got up, coming around the table and zipping the jacket before he went back across the table.

"Talk to me?" He said lowly, almost as if he didn't want people to hear them. Shianne sighed, taking the hot chocolate from the waitress.

"It wasn't important." She exhaled, as she dropped her hands on the table quickly. Aaron reached out, grabbing her hand, and drawing circles on her palm.

"It broke my heart to see you cry like that, so don't tell me it wasn't important. Anytime a tear drops from your gorgeous face, it's beyond important." He spoke slowly, his sparkling brown eyes catching onto her darker ones as she gulped loudly.

She hadn't noticed the stray tear that escaped her eye, until Aaron leaned over the table and brushed it away. His touch alone making her feel better in one take. Was she crying because of what happened or was it the fact that this perfect angel was coming to her rescue? She tightened up her body, not letting him get to be the hero quite yet.

"You were with Lyric, weren't you? Admit it, Air. She's your girlfriend." Shianne hissed, through clenched teeth as Aaron sat back in his chair, rolling his eyes. He had wanted to keep Lyric a secret, but of course Shianne was going to find out. Lyric had a big ass mouth.

"She is not my girlfriend." Aaron snapped, picking his head up as he eyed Shianne carefully.

"Lyric is just a quick thing, nothing more. She's not even my type." Aaron responded, playing with the corner of the diner mat.

"And what's that, black?" Shianne scoffed, crossing her arms across her chest. What was she even talking about?

"Excuse me, what? I'm in a diner with a black girl, aren't I? Don't make me seem like such a bad guy." Aaron retaliated, waving her off.

"You are, if you're fucking Lyric." Shianne mumbled, causing Aaron's face to go red from anger. He knew that it was bad that he was with Lyric, but had Shianne really not noticed that it was she who he wanted?

"Why are you acting like this, Shianne? What you want from me? I'm here. I'm here, man." He took a deep breath and she knew he was getting frustrated. But he never got out of line with her and with that, she always felt safe.

"I've tried so hard to keep it a secret and well, now it's not working anymore."

"What are you trying to hide from me, Shianne? I don't want no secrets with you." Aaron insisted, as he leaned over and intertwined his fingers with hers. She instantly tensed up, a electric shock shooting through her body. He gave her a look, one begging to know and she couldn't bring herself to lie anymore.

"I was only 11 when my mom passed away," She sighed, watching him as he sipped his drink with his free hand. "She meant a lot to me, and when she left, a part of me did too."

"My mom was his punching bag before and now, he has no one to hit but me," Shianne struggled to speak, before tears started cascading down her face. "I've never told anyone, but after this morning, it's hard to pretend. After you left, he got into it about me having you there. I told him it wasn't like that but-"

"Shianne, why didn't you tell me before? All the times I called you and came?" Aaron said lowly, as she looked up at him with watery eyes.

"I wanted to be there for you. You confided in me about you and the shit you're going through and I couldn't look you in your face about this. You live in some beautiful mansion across the world and I'm here in Brooklyn getting abused by my drunk father. What does it matter?" Shianne hissed, before Aaron's face turned a strawberry red from anger.

"I don't care about none of that. He hurts you, and that is in no way okay. Shianne, you are an young girl and you shouldn't have to deal with some 40 year old man, your own father, harming you," Aaron replied, licking his lips quickly before he pushed the box of donuts over to Shianne. "Here, I got you some donuts."

"You're such a dork, Air." She giggled, covering her mouth as he grinned. He smiled along with her, grabbing a donut and taking a bite.

"You like it, though. Everyone does." He winked, as she brushed a stray piece of her brown hair away.

"You're hard not to like," Shianne added in, grinning shyly as she took the other half of the donut and bit into it. "Are these people really staring at us?" She rolled her eyes, giving the middle finger to some people in the diner watching them.

"Take a picture! It will last longer." She growled, letting her anger get the best of her.

"Alright, time to go," Aaron laughed, sipping his drink as Shianne finished her own. "Let's get you out of here." Aaron said, standing up and extending his hand for her to grab. He placed down a $20 on the table before leading her towards the door.

"You're too much, baby," He chuckled, as he helped her pull his hood over her head, before he leaned down and put his lips close to her ear. "Listen, I appreciate you telling me about your father. I want you to know that I'm always going to be here for you, bambina. Don't you ever forget it." He said, pulling her close and kissing her forehead sweetly.

"He won't hurt you ever again. I promise you that." She smiled, glad to hear him say it, even if it wasn't true, as he took her hand and lead her to the doors.

"Wait, I have to pee. I'll be right back." She gave him her cross body bag and scurried off in the opposite direction. He watched her, pulling out his phone and dialing a number. Oh, it was the truth alright.

"Yo, Mo. I need a name."