Chapter 30: "She deserved everything I said to her."

KAT'S P.O.V

"Thanks," I mutter to the lady who passes me my tray.

Taking it, I begin looking for a free spot when somebody calls my name. I follow the voice to Chris and the others, sitting at the far end of their usual table. Luckily Justin isn't with them so I take their call to me as an invitation and sit down next to Blake.

Seeings as one of them had called for me, I assumed they wanted to talk. But as I place my tray down, I'm only greeted with lingering eyes.

"What?" I ask, shrugging my shoulders in confusion.

Chris clears his throat abruptly. "Nothing. We just wanted you to sit with us."

"Oh, okay." I take my spoon and begin eating the food.

As I notice that none of them are talking, or even eating, I decide to start off a conversation.

"So, how are you guys?"

"Good, good," Brad says, not succeeding at looking as good as he says. "How about you?"

"I'm fine." I smile, nodding. My brain's too tired to argue with me over whether or not that answer is completely true.

"Sure?" Sebastian asks, lifting his eyebrows at me. "Are you really fine?"

A large part of me is desperate for them to believe me. "Yes! I'm sure." I chuckle lightly to show that any thought of me being anything but fine is simply ridiculous.

Sebastian may not buy it, nor the other boys, but he nods and keeps eating his meal.

God, what I would do for one meal where we're not all suffocating in awkward silence. The only sound is that of the spoons clinking against the side of our bowls.

"Kat..." Chris looks up as he shakes his head. "Are you sure what you did was right?"

I rest my forehead in my hand with my elbow on the table. I thought they could've held this off a little longer.

"I don't know what you mean." I lie.

Of course I know what he means. Am I sure that breaking up with Justin was right. Hell yes is the answer I'd give him...if I knew what he meant...which I don't...

"You know Justin's extremely fragile at the moment," he says. "He didn't mean what he said."

"No," I reply shortly. "That can't be your excuse for him. He said what he said. He said it and it hurt. That's all there is."

"He's not himself," Blake says, trying as well to make me regret my decisions.

"I'm not going to stay with him, being yelled at and hurt, just waiting for the real him to come back."

"But you could just have some time away from him," he says. "Breaking up with him is just...not right."

"How long would I have time away from him, huh? He's totally insane with madness. It would take years." Sighing, I scoop up some slop from my bowl and drop it down again. "Besides, I can't have time away from him. We're stuck in a little prison, sharing the same cell."

"So how is breaking up any better?" Blake asks. "You're still going to see him all the time!"

I smirk, looking down at my food. "Guys, I like you a lot. But if you're just talking to me to get me back with Justin, I'm gonna leave."

Chris drops his head. "Fine, we'll stop."

"Thank you."

And with that, we finish off dinner without another word.