Chapter 25: "What happened to us?"

JUSTIN'S P.O.V

Kat gets up and walks to the bathroom.

There's something off about her. How she's acting. She doesn't seem all that happy that I'm back. Obviously. It was a weight off her shoulders having me gone.

But here I am, back to ruin her life even more.

Her questions irritated me to no end. I just get back from hell and she has to burble out a million questions and thoughts like it was some damn interrogation.

I lift my head at someone's body standing tall.

"Can we talk?" Chris asks, his eyes locked on mine. His tone is full of determination, making the question seem more like a demand.

I wait for him to sit but he doesn't.

"Not here."

Uninterested as to why we can't speak here, I pull myself up. Chris takes me to a wall.

"You're an idiot," he says.

"Hello to you too," I snarl.

He ignores my sarcastic remark. "Were you even thinking? Did you even take note of the consequences?"

Great. More interrogation.

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms together.

"You can't just do that, Justin," he hisses. "You can't just punch the Chief like that."

"This is what you wanted to talk to me about?" I scoff, shaking my head.

"Kat was shattered." He glares at me. "The next morning she was a mess. When she told us that you never came back to your cell she was going frantic. She checked everywhere for you."

"How the hell is that my fault? I didn't ask to be taken away."

"You basically did! What, you thought punching Spuckler would result in a basket of cookies!?"

Each of his words is a lit match to the roaring fire inside me.

"You have no idea, Chris." I growl.

"No, man. You have no idea. You have no idea what you put us all through. Especially Kat."

What's he trying to do? Make me feel guilty? 'Cause that's been done for awhile now.

"You know, I thought I'd come back to my friends. But obviously not."

Chris rubs his eyes. "We are your friends, Justin. But we're not gonna kiss your ass. What you did was wrong."

"You don't think I know that!?" I shout. "I don't need you or anyone else telling me what's right and wrong!"

"No," Chris says, his eyebrows furrowing. "Something in you felt it was right. That's why you did it."

"He crossed a line," I murmur, my teeth gritting.

"Oh, and what line is that?"

Chris' question leaves his mouth so effortlessly. But my answer won't have such an easy exit.

I part my lips to get ready to say something. But it's no use. I'm not talking today, tomorrow or any other day. "Doesn't matter."

Chris bows his head. "Of course."

I look down at the ground.

"Look, man... I'm glad you're back and safe. But you ought to know you put Kat through hell."

Shivers run all over my body, making me think there's a draft, though there being no windows or open doors leaves me confused. Chris seems to not feel it at all because he stays as still as a brick, his eyes digging into mine.