Chapter 19: "I will take away everything. So either give up or watch out."

KAT'S P.O.V

Over the next week, Justin and I take it in turns to wash and dry the dishes left from the dinner beforehand.

A few of the nights, we have so much love and affection towards each other, the dishes just makes us want to crumple up in a heap and cry.

Sometimes, we don't see it as 'Doing chores happily to annoy the Chief and make him stop harassing us'. We see it only as a monster trying to tear us apart. But maybe in the long run, that's exactly what Spuckler's trying to do.

Of course, despite our sometimes dampened moods after realising we cannot scamper back to our cell and prove to each other just how much love we have, we still keep up our happy act around the Chief. We smile, point out the positive effects of constantly doing dishes, sometimes having to make up nonsense, and thank him for giving us the opportunity to toughen up.

We weren't only assigned the lifeless task of scrubbing bowls and pots, but during the day, made to do extra work.

I've stopped listening to Chief Spuckler's pathetic and low excuses as to why Justin and I must paint the entire wall and no one else. And I suspect he's stopped thinking into his lies so much, as his attempts to deceive us always end in a mumble. He knows we're not paying attention since we'll stare at him vacantly until mention of our set task is heard which we will then nod at with zeal.

Not only must we deal with his tiresome jobs but learn to not put a foot out of line or else we'll be punished for 'misbehaving'.

There are times when I feel that we're getting through to him; breaking his walls. Even teaching him a lesson. But other times, I feel it's the other way. His bland and ruthless jobs, chores and punishments can cut through me like a knife. And I feel Justin too. It makes us feel like nothing we're doing is working. It's all pointless. Like he will never stop. It's a mere game that he's winning.

"Baby?"

I blink my eyes open a few times so they adjust to the darkness before moving in response to the familiar husky murmur from a few inches away.

"Did I wake you?"

I shake my head against the pillow, smiling tiredly at my boyfriend who's returned.

"No. I was just thinking."

"What about?" he asks, joining me in bed as he pulls the warmed blanket up to his shoulders.

"Just...this whole thing going on. With the Chief and us." I push back a whisp of hair that had fallen against my eyes at my movement. "Do you think it's working?"

"Of course," he chirps positively.

If it weren't for the certainty that followed his words, I would think he was lying.

"Hey, this is the end of our week doing dishes. We've made it through a week without giving up. He's only seen us smile. We've got to be getting to him."

"Yeah, I know," I say, my voice seeming more soothing than I had planned.

His toned arms curl around my waist as he pulls me in to him. "I love you, baby. Always remember that." His nose brushes against mine, bringing me a relaxed sensation.

"I will," I whisper, my eyes coming to a close.

* * *

"Get up, now!" The voice booms sharply from The Alarm as I've named the guard that seems to do nothing but wake us and with no desire to make it welcoming.

We've became a bit friendlier with some of the guards. I mean, you do with the people that bring you the dirty dishes and keep watch as you slave away. Right? But having little to no communication with The Alarm doesn't change his opinion on us and he simply sees us as objects that must be woken.