Chapter Sixteen: One Last Time

The wind blew strands of my hair from my face on the top of the Eiffel Tower.

I had just arrived, just as Quinton said I should. He was still no where to be seen, but I knew somewhere in my gut that he would be there. Or maybe it was wishful thinking, but either way I wanted to see him.

I took in a deep, sharp breath, letting the cool air around me nip at my nose. I looked down from the Tower, a sudden realization of just how high up I was.

"I was worried you wouldn't show up," a voice said from behind me. I whipped my head around, finding a smiling Quinton.

I could tell the smile was fake, but even though it was, his attitude was to naturally bright most of the time, it almost seemed real. But I saw through the thick haze of happiness.

"Right back at you," I said, playing the same exact smile on my face. As he sat down, I added, "I'm freezing my butt off here."

He chuckled a little, and then looked at me with his amber puppy-dog eyes. I looked right back, my heart yearning for the look to fade and be the normal Quinton I knew.

"So," I said, breaking the silence and looked down at the floor. "What did you summon me for?"

He smiled a little, and then looked at his feet dangling off the edge of the Tower. His smile quickly faded when he realized he had something big on his mind.

"Look," he said. "The thing is Mari. . . You're in danger."

"What?" I asked, my eyes growing wide. "What do you mean?" I smiled a little, hoping it was a joke. But by the look on his face, I could tell it was no joke.

"I mean. . ." He sighed dramatically. He then looked at me again, but his gaze was serious - yet confused as well. "Something is going to happen soon. And I want you to lay low until it's over."

I stared at him blankly, anger suddenly bubbling in my stomach.

"That's what you brought me up here for!" I exclaimed, glaring. "I haven't seen you in about a week and that's what you tell me - to 'lay low' when my job is to save Paris!?"

His face was hurt, and I wanted to shove the words back in my mouth, but it wouldn't stop pouring out.

"What even is this danger?!" I yelled. "Can't you tell me? Don't you trust me to keep it quiet until the time comes? Don't you believe I can stop it myself?!"

Quinton looked down, and closed his eyes, ashamed. "That's exactly what I'm worried about," he muttered.

"What?" I asked, more gentle this time. I didn't think I was supposed to hear that part, and I couldn't help but to replace my anger with confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing," Quinton replied quickly. "I just. . . Just trust me, okay? That's all I need."

"Trust?" I repeated slowly. I then sighed when he nodded. "Quinton, I trust you. . . But I just wish that you didn't run off for a few days and. . ."

I debated whether to tell him or not about Selene, and I bit my tongue.

"And. . .?" prodded Quinton.

I sighed, and then gave in. "I saw Selene's room," I admitted. "I heard one entry to her tape recorder and her cork-board. The same one hanging up in your room."

I looked at him seriously, his somewhat innocent face staring back. "Don't tell me they are connected," I said sternly, hoping for a right response.

Instead, I got this, "Mari. . . I didn't. . . I."

"Spit it out Quinn. Are you working with her to plan something or not?"

He looked at the ground of Paris, and the wind and all nature's noise had gone deathly silent. He quietly took off his bird-like mask and set it next to him. "Mari. . ." he said slowly.

"Yes?"

"Look at me," he said, turning his face up to mine. I looked at him, only to see sadness reflected off of his glazed eyeballs.

"I am," I replied, gently.

He placed a hand under my chin, and for a moment I though he was going to kiss me. But instead his lean forward and said:

"Good. Because I want you to see me like this one last time."

Before I could do anything or say anything, he pulled away and placed his mask back on his face in one flourish. He then stood up and spread his wings, jumping off the Tower and soaring off into the city of Paris.

I knew if I looked back on this moment in my life, I would probably scold myself for not trying to follow him. I would kick myself and kick myself until I somehow could turn back time and follow him.

But I didn't follow him that night. I just stared in awe at his fading body as it flew off into the sky. I was replaying his last words over and over in my mind until it hurt to think about them anymore.

I felt a tear run down my face as I thought about it one last time:

"Good. Because I want you to see me like this one last time."

Author's Note

Hey everyone! So sorry that I haven't been very active and that this chapter is a little crusty. But I actually started to tear up writing this (even though it's not very sad) but I teared up because I know what's going to happen and you don't!

Anyways, I hope you are enjoying the story! I never knew so many people would read this!

Don't be a silent reader! Comment, vote, add to library!