Chapter Three: A Peculiar Peregrine

I couldn't focus in English.

Every few seconds I would peer up at the clock, waiting for it to be Break. Luckily, one of the only subjects I truly got was English - so when the teacher passed out a worksheet, I was able to do it without listening to the lesson.

Thoughts of what Quinton wanted to ask me swished and sloshed in my head. Surely it wasn't that important, but it still meant a lot to me of what he asked. Every time an idea popped in my head, another replaced it in a matter of seconds.

"Marinette?" I heard the teacher call my name and looked down from the clock. "Could you tell me the difference between First-Person Perspective and Third Person Perspective? Some of us would like some reminding." She shot a look at Kim.

As I was about to answer, the bell rang, leaving me with my jaw hanging open. Everyone rushed out of the classroom, the teacher trying to remind everyone of the homework but no one really listening. I packed up and quickly followed everyone out the door.

I tried to act normal by keeping an even pace, but I couldn't help my curiosity. So I ended up walking, and then sprinting, and then walking again. I repeated this until I reached the stairs - and quickly skipped down the steps.

The benches were right behind the stairs, and I turned on my heel. People had claimed their own benches over the course of the year - Rose and Juleka sat at the end, then Sabrina and Chloe, and a huge gap to where I sit with Alya.

This time, instead of Alya waiting for me, it was Quinton. He was playing on his phone, his forehead creased from squinting at the screen - deep in focus. He looked so cute, leaned over in his seat and rapidly tapping on the device.

Adrien and Nino were nearby, and I felt Adrien's emerald gaze burning into my back. My stomach flipped, Quinton on one side of me and Adrien on the other. I was only missing Alya, who I would have been squealing to.

I walked up to Quinton and he looked up and smiled a lopsided grin. His face was like a puzzle. Of course he was naturally handsome, but whenever he smiled, the puzzle pieces clicked together to make something even better.

I loved the way his eyes glinted in the light, and the way his freckles were all over his nose and some on his cheeks. His hair was styled with his bangs almost hanging over one eye, and every so often he would blow a piece out of his face.

He really was a masterpiece.

Of course, Adrien was another masterpiece. Adrien had those sparkling green eyes, making them look like tiny stars danced in his retinas. He had a smile that would light up your whole day, and his hair was like a soft lion's mane.

"Hey, Marinette," he said, still smiling. He stood up, and I also realized he was in amazing shape - almost like Adrien was but a little more muscular and broader. I gulped, and flushed a little pink. "How was English?"

"Same as normal," I replied, smiling back. "Kim didn't even know First-Person Perspective from Third-Person-Perspective."

"He's almost as bad as Chloe," said Quinton, rolling his eyes. I sat down on the bench, but he stood standing and leaned against the brick walls. "She was busy flirting with me that she didn't get anything done."

Wow, even Chloe was now in the picture for Quinn.

"She was always like that." I picked up my legs and crossed them on the bench. I looked behind Quinton to see Adrien trying to pry Chloe off his shoulder. It was impossible how quickly she attached to him. "She's like that with Adrien. Just look behind you."

Quinton turned and chuckled. "Doesn't that make you mad? You like Adrien, and she's trying to get him." He smirked.

"Yeah, it does a little," I admitted. "But part of me knows that Adrien doesn't like it so it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I know Chloe has a slim chance."