Chapter 33

Chapter 33

After Mik whispered the word "Tanya," she appeared in front of him and held out her hand.

She was still as beautiful as he remembered. Her hair was cropped around her ears. Yet the place where she had been in his heart was now taken by someone else.

"I'm sorry Tanya," he whispered, barely moving his lips, “I’ve failed you.”

“No,” she placed a hand under her chin smiling, “I didn’t expect you to love me forever.”

“I promised I wouldn’t forget you, I . . .”

“You did exactly what was to be expected of you. A man cannot love a woman forever if she dies. You have found a new love and you are happy. That is all I wanted for you,” she cut across him and traced a finger along his cheek, “I know why you are here and I can help you.”

“Not that I deserve it,” he muttered looking into her ghostly eyes.

“Take my hand Mik,” she stood back and held out a pearly shadow of a hand.

Without hesitation Mik took her hand. He needed to do this, for Kiayani, for his friends who were his brothers and for Tanya. He wouldn’t fail her a second time.

The moment his fingers touched her palm he felt a whoosh and he was spiralling upwards into what could be described as another world. It was made entirely of light and Mik could see it without opening his eyes. When hid did open them he was almost blinded. Never had he seen so much light. He still held onto Tanya’s cold fingers and was surprised to see that he too was made of the white swirly mist that gave the girl form. He walked beside her on the path of light.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“To see the elders, they will let you appeal your request,” she answered.

Mik noticed that her voice was much stronger here then back on the mountain top. She stopped in front of a crowd of the ghosts, “I leave you here.”

Mik looked at the faces of light, seeing some very aged and some young. Tanya left his side and floated away, her fingers slipping through his. A woman stepped forward from the crowd.

“Welcome young friend,” she said in a croaky voice.

“Thank you, and the ancestors,” he said, inclining his head, “what should I call you?” he asked.

The woman smiled, “I have many names. Some call me Eve, Daughter of the Sky, the Wise One. But you can call me Mother if you like.”

“Mother,” he mouthed.

“Please sit,” she gestured to him and sat down herself.

The crowd around her followed suit.

“You are to present your case and then the elders will vote,” she said nodding her head at him.

Mik felt the stares of all the ghosts piece him and he clenched his fists. He had gotten this far, he wasn’t going to fail.

“My kingdom has lived in darkness for over a hundred years as you all know. My people are weak. We have found a way to live, but we are only just surviving and we rely heavily on the neighbouring countries for food and for help. We no longer want to just survive though, we want to live. I speak for all people in this kingdom when I say we have learnt our lesson. Please remove the curse that binds our land,” he spoke with determination and attempted to look into every one of the elders faces.

They remained silent for a minute before the old woman spoke, “Those in favour of releasing Dayrius?”

This was the moment of truth. Mik held his breath and bit his lip in anticipation. There were only twenty or so ghosts and it wouldn’t take many to sway in his favour. He watched as they raised their hands. The old woman raised hers. The suspense was making beads of sweat roll down his face.