CHAPTER FOURTY - NINE

The above song is by Jo Jung Hee titled "Blue bird". Check the lyrics at the end of the chapter.

We have one last chapter to go! I am so excited to have gotten to this point. Thank you so much everyone for all your support.

Monday 2nd October, 2016

Lorato's Doctor had informed her family and the police about the date and time of her discharge from the hospital. It would be on the 4th of October at 0900 hours. Lorato sat in bed on Monday morning with the lawyer hired for her case along with her parents. According to Attorney Motsumi, things look really bad. She has been charged with attempted murder, arson, illegal possession of firearms and kidnapping. She might be put away for a very long time.

"We need Desire as a witness- we are going to prove to the court that you suffered from a mental breakdown; starting from the time you had a break from Darren and then your broken engagement and how Desire manipulated you. We will also use those photos Mrs. Fani took as evidence. Darren too might be called to the stand because he is the root cause of all this madness."

"But Attorney Motsumi, shouldn't Desire be prosecuted as an accomplice?" Mrs. Mosimanegape asked.

"We have no evidence to that effect except that they met frequently and called each other and sent texts. Plus Desire's plans to kill Lolita got squashed because of the accident but..." his voice trailed off.

Mr. Mosimanegape stood up from his seat and looking heavenward shook his head sadly. It was glaring that his daughter will take the fall for everything - she was guilty after all.

"I wonder what would have happened if the donour hadn't come" Lorato said nonchalantly.

Attorney Motsumi thought, "You would be dead."

"I should have just died and saved everyone all this trouble." She said with tears running down her face.

"No! Another chance to live and do the right thing has been given to you." Her mother said firmly.

Lorato's stay at the hospital had cleared her mind especially after Chidi's visit. She knew now that she had lost her mind and her behaviour did not reflect that of a true Christian. She could have confronted Lolita several years ago when it seemed she was the cause of Darren breaking up with her but she didn't. Instead she teamed up with even more crazier Desire but she could have ended the plan when the latter got involved in the accident. But her envy and bitterness towards Lolita had skyrocketed.

"You could get Desire prosecuted because she was the brain behind everything."

"My dear, you are aware that she didn't go through with the plan and Lorato could have used that opportunity to let things go." Mr. Mosimanegape said seriously.

This made his wife really upset. "Are you saying your daughter should take the fall for everything?" She asked angrily.

"Lolita comes first! She deserves a break." Was his reply.

"She ran away remember? She ran away from saving Lorato's life!"

"Would you have advised your daughter to donate her kidney if the situation was reversed?" He got up from his seat too and stood in front of his wife.

"My dear, we are indebted to that child! She could have retaliated after the truth about Lorato and Desire's evil joint venture came to light but she didn't! Don't you get it woman? Our daughter nearly killed three people! It was a well organized crime for God's sake!"