CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The three bedroom house owned by Rachael was a product of her hard work. Lolita looked around her beautiful surroundings and hoped that someday soon she would have her own house. She felt like a failure compared to Rachael who had everything going great for her. A great graphic designing career, a house in her name and she will be getting married in just few weeks; the last Saturday of August. As Lolita settled into her bedroom Rachael came with a glass of strawberry juice. Lolita took it gratefully and gulped it down. It was cold outside but her friend's house had both air conditioning and heating system.

The guest room was big with a queen sized bed, a dressing table with a mirror framed with mahogany wood. The walls of the entire house were painted a light shade of pink with white ceilings of beautiful flowery designs. The doors were painted white with cute looking handles on them. Lolita was amazed by the beautiful and unique fittings of the curtains, sofa sets and the kitchen area. As she looked around she felt at loss and began questioning her life. What has she achieved?

"I know what you are thinking Lolita. I have everything working out for me. But you are an amazing person Lolly!"

"Really?" Lolita was not convinced.

"You volunteer at five NGOs for the past twelve years, tutor school children at church and in the church neighbourhood for free twice a month. You are the church's Sunday school teacher and even a little birdie tells me a rich God-fearing and loving guy is chasing after you." Rachael added the last part to make her friend laugh and she succeeded.

"Tell me more about him." Rachael encouraged as they sat on the brown leather sofas in the living room. Lolita managed a small smile and thought about Dr. Ryan Johnson.

"He loves people especially those who are helpless. He is the eldest child in his family and the only one yet to get married." Rachael giggled happily.

"He seems to have fallen for me for a while now and is so sincere and gentle in his approach towards me even when he knew I had someone else in my heart." She sighed sadly and added, 

"I don't know Rachael, but maybe after I have gotten over everything that has happened to me these three years I could open my heart once again. I don't want to hurt such a good man. He deserves much better."

Rachael took her hands and looked into her eyes, "You too deserve so much more Lolly. Do what you feel is right, even better; what God is leading you to do."

"Thanks girlfriend! But are you not going to church today?"

Rachael looked at her wall clock. "I still have time. I will go and get ready. Are you coming?"

The thought of seeing the hypocritical smiles of those three BACKSTABBING  friends at church made her stomach churn.

 "Not today. I will probably sleep in. I don't want the fever kicking in at church again."

"Seriously?" Rachael eyes her suspiciously. Lolita did not want to share what happened with her two best friends yet. Rachael too had thought about why Lolita didn't call either Lorato or Desire but decided not to pry. But surely something wasn't right in their relationship plus her family seems to be going through a rough time.

"Whatever it is Lord, please grant her peace and wisdom to sort it out. I know she is hurting too but I don't know what about but you do know everything so please father, heal her wounded heart. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen."

***********

Ryan drove Uncle Dele to his hotel. Fortunately, his niece had paid for two more days plus his returning ticket as well. Ryan wanted to hug Lolita for her acts of kindness. At such a young age she had so much saved up and was spending it selflessly on others even if it was a lazy relative like Uncle Dele. After settling him in, Ryan got him a glass of water from a mini-fridge by the corner in the spacious room.