CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Ten years ago...

Seventeen year old Desire jumped on her bed with her best friend of four years Lolita Badmus. They did everything together and were almost inseparable. The school play they participated in was a success and Desire's parents had decided to take them out for dinner at a newly opened restaurant to celebrate their hard work. The two had giggled at the thought of meeting new faces there especially handsome guys that they will giggle at. 

"What if we meet Darren there?" Desire said with panic in her voice. Lolita rolled her eyes.

"You like him too much but don't worry. If you fall while drooling at him I will be there to wake you up."

Desire hit her friend's head with a pillow in annoyance.

"I'm serious Lolita! I want to look good for him."

"Look good for you and stop worrying please."

Their mothers had sometimes wondered if they were supposed to be born as twins. They were in the same clubs at school and at church.

The night of the dinner was exciting for both girls who had a new hairdo, new dresses and shoes to match. They were also going to have a sleep over at Desire's house afterwards.

"Darren was so sad when I told him I can't be his girlfriend yet," Desire said with a sigh.

"I saw the attraction." Lolita said with a sly smile as she added extra gloss to her lips.

"We like each other a lot. We will wait." Desire said with feeling.

Lolita smiled brightly but she prayed her friend knows that falling in love is something that should involve God and not just one's feelings. She sincerely doesn't want her best friend to get hurt. Darren was loved by many girls at school; all thanks to his good brains and looks. He better not hurt her...

Later that night as Desire and Lolita slept off from exhaustion, the former's father woke up to make a phone call. He watched the sleeping woman beside him...his wife of twenty years. Lately they were drawing apart for no apparent reason and his attraction and affection for her was fading fast. He could barely remember what drew him into loving her in the first place. He sneaked out of their bedroom and closed the door quietly.

*********

Lolita woke up with a burning need to drink water. She got up from the Queen sized bed and walked out of the room. Silently she made her way into the kitchen of the big house, switched on the light, opened the fridge and took a jug of water out. After filling a cup she took from the cabinet, she drank to her satisfaction and switched off the light. She was about to retrace her steps back to Desire's room when she heard a man's voice. At first she thought it might be an intruder then it was clear it was her best friend's father.

"...this weekend. Same hotel my love. I will bring everything you ask. I love you and miss you. Good night."

Lolita felt she was in a drama of some sort...Mr. Charleston was having an affair? That can't be! It is impossible! Desire's parents love each other! Her father is a responsible man. Quietly she waited for him to leave for the master bedroom, then went back to Desire's room with her mind and heart thrown into turmoil.

************

At breakfast the next morning, Mr. Charleston announced he would be gone for the weekend. He was going to check the branch of his IT Company in a town over two hundred kilometers from Gaborone. The wife smiled and wished him a safe journey. Lolita thought about his announcement. Does this mean their marriage was in trouble? His wife did not even know he was going to be going away for whatever reason! Lolita kept it all to herself in order not to upset her friend, besides she does not have proof. No proof at all.