Chapter Eight: Heart Surrounded by Steel

I am not editing this because I want to get a few chapters up first! I will come back and edit when I have time so I am very sorry for the inconvience and please dont let the mistakes effect your opinion or enjoyment of the story...thanks for understanding :P

It wasn’t long before my shaking legs gave out beneath me.I had stood in shock as James ran over to asses the damage. Hayden had been shot in the chest, dangerously close to his heart. James had dealt with gun shot wounds before and got straight to work trying his best to ignore Chinas frantic cries. She sprawled over top of Hayden’s waist covered in the blood from his wound, and soaked in tears.

  I fell to my knees, hands shaking as I got out my phone to call 911.

“Hailey NOO” Sebastian ran over and snatched my phone from my hands causing me to gasp in surprise.

“Sebastian, he needs an ambulance. He’s bled too much already!” I went to take my phone back but he held it out of my reach. “Sebastian NOW” I was seriously freaking out. Hayden could possibly be dying before my eyes and here was Sebastian, stopping me from dialling the one number that could save his life.

“ Hailey you can’t, and I know you want to. But it would be worse for all of us if you called 911. Let James deal with it. He dealt with worse, trust me Hailey” He looked down at me pleadingly, offering his hand to help me up.

We both froze when we heard the sirens pulling into the parking lot outside of the building.  “Dammit” Sebastian cursed under his breath. Before I could react Sebastian was pulling me towards the back exit. He passed me over to James as he went to go pick up China, who had fainted, bridal style, and followed after us. I tried to release my hand from James harsh grip as he pulled me further away from Hayden.

  “Dammit James, he’s going to die, we can’t leave him here.” I pleaded, as tears flowed down my cheeks, my emotions finally getting the best of me. He didn’t look back, but instead pulled me through the exit and around back where we had parked the car a few blocks up.

I tried and tried to escape, to go back to Hayden and protect him, to get him help, but each time I pulled, James only tightened his grip on my wrist and pulled me faster along.

Sebastian and China turned off towards his car and the members of the mafia that were left scattered. James came to the car and quickly opened the door, helping me in before slamming it shut in frustration. He ran to the other side and climbed in the driver’s seat. The tires squealed and the car spun in a circle till it was facing the opposite direction of the crime scene and he drove off, shifting with ease as he flew through the city.

After a few minutes of driving, I let all my emotions spill out. I just left Hayden, my best of friends, to die alone, in pain as I escaped safe and sound. That bullet was meant for me and I ended up being the one to walk away, while Hayden paid for my mistakes.  I curled my knees up by my chest and cried into them, my body retching from the powerful sobs. Never in my life had I cried this hard, or in front of anyone, and here I am, vulnerable and weak in front of James.

He looked over at me, his face containing nothing but pain and sympathy.

“Hailey…” his voice was nothing but a whisper as his hand reach out and stroked my hair. I lifted my head and wiped my tear streaked eyes before looking back at James.

“Hailey, the only reason I left Hayden there was because it was best for all of us, especially him. If I had stayed they would have taken all of us to jail, and I wouldn’t be able to take care of Esteban. Right now, the police would have called 911 and he is probably already at the hospital, faster than if we had stayed and distracted the police. He is safe, you are safe, and that is all that matters to me.” His voice held nothing but truth, looking into mine pleading for forgiveness.