Chapter Seven: End of Life as I Know It

Hailey's POV

My body was still coping with the aftermath of James's kiss. My heart still racing and the butterflies in my stomach felt high up on speed. I watched as he walked down the street, his hand resting on something metal in the waistband of his jeans. He walked with so much authority and confidence that it was no wonder people feared and respected him. He watched his surroundings carefully, constantly checking dark alleyways and corners. He fixed his cornrows and jacket before rounding the last corner and disappearing.

I turned my attention to the phone in my hands, immediately remembering what James had said. Actually you dropped it when we were in the garage. I thought on it for a moment before giving up and looking for any missed calls. Suddenly it beeped, indicating I had an upcoming event. I scrolled down the screen noticing two events punched in, my eyes bulging when I saw what it said.

Time: 7:00 pm

Event: Date with James Moretti

Where: The Olive Garden.

I quickly checked the time. Ah crap! It's 10:00pm. I'm seriously late for our date. I laughed at myself before scrolling down further to see what the second event that he put in was.

Time: All night

Event: Make a wild guess....It involves you and me and one hell of a ride!

Where: My bed of course!

I felt my stomach summersault and my heart kick into overdrive with what the words implied. I couldn't help but let a giggle escape my lips. I looked down to exit out of the events column when I noticed that every night had an event added to it, each stating that I had a date with James.

I leaned back against the chair of the car and held the phone to my chest, letting my mind wander. What would it be like to go on an official date with James? To spend a night in his bed with his arms wrapped around me.

Suddenly the opening of the car door brought me from my reverie. I looked up expecting to see James, but instead I felt a rough hand wrap around my arm, hoisting me out of the car aggressively and throwing me on the cold sidewalk. I let a scream escape my lips, but regretted it the second it happened for I was punished with a slap across the face that numbed my entire cheek.

"Shut up, you dumb Bitch! Do you want to wake up the whole city?" The man shut the car door and turned to me. His eyes glaring at me.

I was not about to let this stranger come in and treat me like dirt. I wasn't the kind of person that let people walk all over me. I carefully brought myself to my feet, watching as the stranger smirked as he watched me rub my sore cheek.

"Oh did that hurt?" His smirked, clearly entertained. His entertainment was short liveed, for I clenched my fist and swung my hand, as hard as I could, into his smirking face. He stumbled back a few steps before regaining composure. He wiped the few drops of blood from his lip before he looked back at me with so much hatred in his eyes that I felt my body shiver in response.

He took a step closer, a smile playing at the corners of his mouth as he continued to close the space between us.

 "Do you have even the faintest idea who I am?" He asked, his voice drenched in hatred.

 I shook my head in response, not trusting the steadiness of my voice, for I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing that I was scared.

"Ha. Of course not. Always the unsung hero." He said almost to himself. I was sensing some serious jealousy issue's here. "Well sweetheart," he continued, "I am Esteban's second in command, Philippe. And it seems as though you have a little date with Esteban himself, and I am here to escort you to him. Now let me make this very clear. He simply asked my to bring you to him alive. So I suggest you cooperate, because, last time I checked, barely alive is still alive. So we can do this the hard way or the easy way? Your choice" He finished with an evil grin plastered over his stupid face.