The Program

After I had finished eating lunch I went straight to my Defense Against the Dark Arts class only to be told it was canceled because Professor McGonagall left the school grounds to do some private business with the Board of Governors. Her leaving put Krum in charge to over-see the school grounds since he was the Deputy Headmaster.

I spent the next hour and a half waiting outside the Muggle Studies classroom, wondering what the new program would be like.

Only when I saw the familiar faces of my friends did I gather to my feet.

"Hey Hermione!" Parvati called as she and Faye walked my way.

"Hi." I called back, giving a slight wave.

"Are you feeling better?" Parvati asked me.

I nodded my head before stepping aside as Professor Tonks moved to unlock the door.

"Gather in students, gather in."

Several students rushed in and quickly took seats near the center of the classroom. I on the other hand secluded myself and sat in the back. This was abnormal for me. I always sat in the front if I could.

The only other person who sat near the back was Draco Malfoy. He was across the room from me, two desks separated us.

"Welcome to Muggle Studies!" Professor Tonks began.

"This class is a bunch of bull crap, I can't believe I am required to take this." Draco mumbled under his breath. "Pathetic!"

Professor Tonks began pacing the front of the room. "Before we get into the nitty gritty I will explain the overall course. Day 1, where we are now, consists of settling down. Once I am finished you will be paired up with a partner and that partner and you will move into your new living quarters for the remainder of the school year."

My hand shot into the air.

"Yes, Miss Granger." she smiled.

I put my hand down and took a breath. "You said we will have new living quarters, what do you mean?" I leaned forward, moving to the edge of my chair.

"Yes, very attentive Miss Granger. For this class the Board of Governors have magically constructed a series of houses located on the grounds of Hogwarts. 20 houses to be exact. You and your work partner will be living in a house together." She explained.

I didn't have to be told to understand that by partner she mean male student, not female.

"During this time in the home you will live as Muggles do. The homes have spells put on them so no magic can be used by any student at all. Your classes will be considered your work. You will go to them and return home once it is all over. On the days you report to my class you will be tested on various muggle skills. The higher the scores the better the incentives."

My hand shot up in the air once more.

"Yes Miss Granger."

"Incentives, what exactly are they and what do we benefit from gaining them?"

"Very wise question. The incentives earn you credit and credits will get you things like better quality food, health products, clothes and other things you might want to buy."

"But all that is covered by the school."

Professor Tonks shook her head slowly. "Every house is stocked with basics but only enough for the first week. After that week you will be using your credits to purchase your own things just like muggles do."

"But we already do that anyways."

"That we do, Miss Granger. But those that know how to do magic know that there are common spells that we can use to double what they already have. So in turn they never have to buy more." She explained. "Muggles don't have that luxury. Once something runs out it is gone until they buy more."