Chapter 1 - Kenzou Hiroshi

Pic of Kenzou with his glasses 

I opened my eyes slowly. Looking over at my clock, I saw it was 6:30. I sighed. 

"I should take a shower," I muttered to myself as I stood up from my bed and grabbed some random clothes that I could find around my small bedroom. It consisted of loose black jeans, a blue t-shirt and a pink hoodie. It used to be my mother's until she gave it to me. It was the nicest thing she's ever done for me. Really. She only said it was because I needed something to hide the bruises.

I walked into the bathroom and looked into the mirror. What I saw made me want to cry. I took off my nightshirt and sighed once again, I saw the same broken face staring back at me. My violet eyes shadows under them, the life was gone.

I was very skinny. My skin was a pale colour and I could see my heart beat. My black hair was ragged at some points because I had to cut it myself with some scissors I kept in my bedroom. I had to do it or mother will cut my hair herself.. and my face and ears. She didn't care about my pain, she only cared that I didn't look like a girl.

I could see the stab marks, slashes, bruises my mother gave me as they littered my body. But what I also saw were the self inflicted cuts on my wrists. I wrote one of them on my chest, extremely close to my heart... burden. It's faint, it had healed most of the way since I have carved it a few months ago. But it never really does go away. I think my mother has carved the idea that I am a burden into my brain. And I am... 

I stripped down the rest of my clothes and turned on the shower handle. I waited for the water to get warmer. 

Once it was, I stepped in and quickly washed my hair and cleaned my body. Of course, I truthfully did try to be as fast as I could before my mother woke up. I was rinsing the soap out of my eyes when I heard a bang on the door. 

"You bastard! Who said you could use the water that I pay for!?" She screamed. I gasped and turned off the shower quickly. I dried my hair and put my pants on.

She came in and glared at me. 

"I-I-I'm s-sorry, Mam! I'll g-get dressed and out of the house!" I cried as I grabbed my shirt. 

"Tch! You idiot! You ungrateful brat!" She gave me a punch to the face and I landed on the ground, holding back a choked sob. She then began to kick me over and over. Screams of pain tore through my sore throat.

She continued this until I stopped screaming, because I couldn't feel anything anymore. I then felt a new pain in my side and let out an ear-splitting scream. It was loud, and it broke the windows, glass for the shower, and my mother covered her ears. The bathroom door flew open and I heard some neighbours shouting and coming to the front door.

My eyes widened when I noticed there was a knife in my hip. I took it out, forcing back a grunt and a yell. My mother ran out of the bathroom. I looked in the mirror. I was even worse. I got some anesthetic from the cupboard and some bandages. I dressed my wounds, wrapped the bandages around myself and put on the rest of my clothes. I brushed my hair as neat as I could get it and went back to my bedroom. 

I put on my black converse shoes that I got in 8th grade. Two years ago. I stopped growing when I was about 14. I slung my black book bag over my shoulder and put on my black framed glasses. When I walked down the stairs to the front door, I looked behind me. My mother's bedroom door was ajar. I walked over to it and peeked through. 

"I know, I know! Just.. just give me more time. Just about a week, and that's all I need. I swear I'll do it..... yeah.... okay..... what do you mean? Of course he's at school..... Yeah, cool. Thankyou, Sir. I promise I'll have him gone by Thursday...... Fine, Wednesday. Okay, Sir, talk to you later." She got off the phone and stood up from her bed, walking over to her personal bathroom. My eyes were wide and tears slowly fell from them. Was she talking about me? I walked to the front door and put on my pink necklace. 

Walking out the door I heard a high voice, sounding like 20 people were speaking at once, near my ear.

"WhAt haPPenEd kEnzou?" He asked me.

"My mother was on the phone with some guy... I think she wants to kill me, Limbo." Limbo looked at me with his dark eyes. 

"I'Ll maKe SUre shE doesN't HuRt yoU." I smiled down at him. 

"Thank you, Limbo."

When I got to class, I took my seat in the back row. I got some stares but I ignored them. The teacher was talking about something I just couldn't understand. I started to shut her out and at one point I began to fall asleep. When I heard my name being called I looked up. The teacher was looking at me, and so was every other student. 

"What was that, Miss?" I asked. She smiled slightly and pointed to the board. I had to read the paragraph. 

LINE BREAK

When recess finally came, I snuck out to the back of the school, near the canteen. I looked around to make sure there was nobody near me. I got some cigarettes from my shoulder bag along with a lighter and lit one. Once I put the lighter away, I brought the smoke into my mouth, got the cigarette between my middle finger and first finger to take it out of my mouth before inhaling. I did this a few more times before my legs began to feel weak.

This usually happens after a smoke, I feel weak. I dropped the cigarettes and stomped on it before taking a sip of mouthwash I had found a while ago and spitting it out into the drink fountain. I then continued to my next class.

I was walking like usual until I bumped into two teen boys, before I could land on the ground, they caught me. One of them grabbed my left hand with their right hand and the other one vice versa. My eyes were wide. 

I slowly stood up before walking away. 

"Wait!" I stiffened. They possibly wanna give me a beating after bumping into them, right? I took off my bag and turned around. 

"Go on. Make it quick." I muttered. They looked at me as if they had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe they didn't know what I was talking about? They looked like they were in year 12. One of them blueish hair and the other one with orange hair with yellow. The blue haired boy put on some glasses. Wait--those were my glasses! When did he get them??

"Oi, you forgot your glasses." He walked over to me and gave me my glasses. My eyes widened. 

"You're not.... going to beat me up?" I asked slowly.

"Beat you up? HA! You're just a child." The bluenette spoke.

"I... I'm not a child." I whispered before picking up my things and walking away. 

Halfway through period 3 I began to feel sick. I asked the teacher if I could go to the nurse's office, he said yes. So I grabbed my stuff and walked to the nurse's office.

"Oh, Kenzou. This is the fourth time this month. Are you feeling okay?" She asked. I nodded, holding my stomach.

"I'm fine.. I just, don't feel well." She stood up and pressed her palm to my forehead. 

"My, you're burning up!" I hunched over and threw up in the bin, but all there was; was bile. That's it. My throat burned. "You need the hospital!" I laid on the floor breathing raggedly with my necklace held close to me. 

KEnzoU!" Limbo yelled. 

"Limbo, when'd you get here?" I breathed out.

"KeNzou geT uP!" He screamed.

"But I'm so tired..." I blacked out.