Fire in the rain

Chapter 10 Fire in the rain

----------------------

I remember you and me
Before we knew our destiny
Never walked the road before
Though you longed to search for more

We put everything aside
With our futures on the line
I could say it's 'cause of you
You showed the dream we walked into

~Måns Zelmerlöv

--------------------

"So I was trapped inside this, this, fictional world," The Doctor waved his hands around as he tried to explain. "And I could do nothing but watch Rose from the other side. It was extremely frustrating."

"Yeah, but I saved your skinny arse didn't I?" Rose grinned at the Doctor who smiled back fondly.

Rory watched his two friends fondly and, not for the first time during the seven months he had known Rose, did he wonder when they would give up the pretence and start doing something about the, frankly, ridiculously large tension between them. It was like watching two dogs in heat that were trapped on each side of a barred fence.

Well, perhaps not the best comparison since only female dogs goes into heat, but the point still stands. Something needed to be done.

"'an I couldn't find 'im," Rose said and Rory shook his head to get back into the conversation. "All the others were there, but not the Doctor. But then I walked by a TV and I saw none other than 'im running with the Olympic torch all the way up the stairs to light the fire."

"You lit the fire on the 2012's Olympics?" Rory could feel his eyebrows disappear under his fringe.

"Yes." The Doctor nodded, his hands entwined behind his back as he rocked slightly back and forth.

"So you're telling me," Rory shifted his eyes to and fro Rose and the Doctor. "That if I put on the Olympics next summer, I will see you running with the torch?"

"Yes," The Doctor nodded again. "Well," He tilted his head. "Technically you wouldn't see me, as in this body, but yes you would."

"Amy," He looked at his wife as she descended the stairs down to the console. "Do you believe any of this stuff?"

"If it's the Doctor, I believe anything." Amy walked up to him and circled her arm around his waist and leaned her head against his shoulder.

"So if he told you he'd battled an army of Jedi's, all with their own lightsabers, while singing the tune to Old McDonald, you'd believe him?" Rory tilted his head so he could look at his wife.

"Don't be ridiculous," The Doctor interrupted before Amy had a chance to answer. "I'll always be on the side of the Jedi's."

"That's not what..." But Rory was unable to finish his sentence as the warning lights began flashing on the console and the Doctor quickly left to deal with them.

Amy released her hold on Rory and walked down under the console with Rory following closely behind, leaving Rose and the Doctor to deal with the lights.

"Hey," Rory caught the hem of her shirt arm. "You're still thinking about it, aren't you?"

"Shhh!" Amy looked around to make sure they were alone and then whispered. "We saw him die!"

"Yeah," Rory whispered back. "200 years in the future."

"Yes, but it's still going to happen." Amy broke free from his hold. "And where's Rose?" She questioned. "She wasn't at the beach."