Tone of Voice (Kuro!Kaneki)

(A/N; he is still fully human in this OS, just sayin')

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kaneki, look! S-S-Sen Tatsuki's new book comes out next month!" You patted the black-haired boy on the arm, urging him to look through the shining window. He turned around and his eyes followed your pointed finger.

"Oh, great!" He stood slightly closer to the window, as if being closer to it brought the release date sooner. You stood next to him just as excited. "I guess it took a while to write another one, huh." You nodded in response, your eyes fixated on the cover that mocked your need for the full book.

"I can't wait a whole month!" You whined in despair, before cupping your hands over your mouth, breath escaping from the spaces in between.

"Are you cold, Y/N?" Kaneki worriedly asked, his focus shifted onto you.

"J-j-just a bit, I'm okay, h-h-honestly." Although you tried to reassure him, he definitely wouldn't fall for it.

"No you're not, Y/N. Let's go back." You agreed, and you both started to walk through the festive street.

Through the streets, hundreds of hurried shoppers rushed around you. All of them clutched onto bags, credit cards and desperation for the oncoming day. Shops stayed open longer than usual, business owners laughing at the worried expression of their customers. It all seemed so surreal to you. Your eyes darted from person to person. You covered your face with the scarf wrapped around your neck Kaneki gave to you when you first started dating. The scent of Anteiku coffee still lingered through the thread.

The amount of people soon overwhelmed you. It wasn't uncommon for somebody to bump into you every minute or so. Your shoulders slightly ached from all the collision. You stood close to Kaneki, but to no avail. He also seemed to be struggling with the crowd of people. Fortunately, you were now warmer from all the walking.

The quantity of people began to die down as time went by- it was enough to walk freely without the thought of bumping into more people. You looked at Kaneki, his face glowing from the Christmas lights hanging from the streetlamps. You shifted closer, wrapping your arm around his. He jumped at the sudden touch, but soon relaxed. Breath escaped his mouth as he smiled, looking down at you, his cheeks slightly glowing red. Your heart beat quickened at the sight, it was a feeling you would never get over- no matter how many times you saw it.

You finally reached Kaneki's apartment, letting go of him as he unlocked the door. You both entered, and you immediately slumped onto the sofa. The day tired you out, and the night greeted you with its relaxing smile. Kaneki joined you after a few minutes, just as worn out. You didn't speak for a couple minutes, and instead you pulled your phone from your pocket. The app you opened shone a bright white in your face. It blinded you momentarily. Clicking on various buttons, you bought extra credit for international calls, before shoving the device back into your pocket.

"What are we going to eat... we forgot to buy anything..." You muttered through yawns. Kaneki put his hand on top of your resting one, also yawning.

"There should be some hamburgers in the fridge."

"I guess," you yawned, "that'll do."

--

11am. Christmas Day. You lay in the bed, looking out into the crack of the blinds. The sky looked a pale white, all over. You rubbed your eyes, yawning. Turning around, you found yourself sharing an empty bed. Murmurs from the living room could be heard from the bed.

"Sure, Hide. Oka- yes, I will. Merry Christmas, Hide. Bye." Footsteps soon followed the ended conversation, and Kaneki emerged from the bedroom door. "Oh, you woke up?" He sat down next to you, kissing you on the cheek. "Merry Christmas, Y/N."