Secret (Yomo)

"He's not your friend, Y/N. He's a raven. He's craving death. Get away from him-before he swoops down."

--

The rain flooded the streets of Tokyo. Rivers began to form on the roads. Car lights bounced off the puddles. You tapped your finger as you stood under a tree with Renji. You looked around at the empty streets. You had managed to find shelter before the rain, unlike the man stood next to you. His hair was soaked and was drooping onto his face. He was breathing heavily after running to you and shelter. Although you couldn't do anything, you couldn't help but feel somewhat guilty.

You both stood in a comfortable silence- you always had been able to. Neither of you needed to speak a word to enjoy each other's company. The smell of rain filled your nose and the pattering was like music to your ears. You and Renji both appreciated the serenity of a rainy day- maybe more you than him today. The silence was suddenly broken when he unexpectedly spoke up.

"Y/N." You turned to see his face, rain still dripping off his hair. His eyes. That was the first thing you noticed. Although nothing had changed, they somehow seemed to look different. They weren't the exact cold, emotionless eyes you were so used to seeing. They seemed softer, more relaxed. "Thank you."

"For what...?"

"For being here with me in the rain. Again."

--

"Yomo-san!" You cried, crouching down to the silver-haired man. Blood dripped from his forehead and mouth. He clutched onto his side, wincing. "Uta!" You turned around to look at the blonde-haired ghoul, his sunglasses covering his crimson eyes. He wiped blood off his cheek, tilting his head to your call. You choked back tears as you shouted. "What are you doing?! I thought you two stopped fighting!"

Uta shook his head, sighing. "I thought so too but..." He paused to look at the injured ghoul, "he still hasn't learned how we live." He slowly walked over to the two of you, his boots sending dust in all directions. He bent down to see Yomo- his eyes shut with pain. "Oh-" He looked at the blood gushing from his body. Uta opened his mouth as to say something but purposely stopped himself. He sighed loudly again, before standing straight and walking away. 

You bit your lip trying to hold in your anger, but it flooded out of you. "He's going to die, Uta! What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Uta stopped in his tracks at your remark, simply turning his head just enough to see the black eyes he cautiously hid. 

"I think you forget, Y/N-he's a ghoul, he'll recover in a couple days." 

"That doesn't mean-"

"Don't try to be the saviour he doesn't need. After all- what's the phrase?- you're only human.

He didn't stop to hear the shouts of his name from your cracking voice. He didn't stop to see the tears slowly dripping down your face. He simply strolled his way out of the scenario as if it hadn't ever happened. The echo of his whistle could still be heard through the dark streets of the 4th ward. 

You looked into the darkness, beginning to stand up when a weak hold gripped your arm. You swiftly turned your attention to Yomo, who was coughing up blood. 

"Re-Yomo-san!" You moved closer to him. You realised how cautious you were to call him by his first name. "Are you okay? Can you stand up?" You could feel raindrops beginning to fall onto your face. You looked up at the sky, before looking at him again. His hand was stained from the blood on his side. You could see the pain in his drained eyes. 

"I do-" He coughed repeatedly, "I don't know." You put on of your hands on his shoulders, the other on his bloodied hand. "Try, please." You tried to help pull him up, but he seemed to manage most of it by himself. Once up, you slumped his arm over your shoulders. Most of his body weight was rested on you.