Mr. Hot Stuff visits, Forcing me to Give a Fictional Explanation of our Meeting

18

As I finished the movie, I started thinking. If I was the only person at the party not wearing a costume, that would draw attention. So to blend in, I'd have to wear a costume. But hopefully not a homemade superhero thing like Flynn suggested.

I didn't have a black robe, so Hermione was out. I didn't have a white robe, so Leia was out. Han Solo and Chewie were definitely out. So was Legolas. And Frodo. So I had to start from scratch.

But by then it was late and I wanted to sleep, so I decided I'd enlist Jenna and Wes's help after school on Monday, and prepared for bed.

~

I woke up early Sunday morning, and was excited about the day, because Alan was here! My big brother with his big bear hugs and annoying, at times primitive, habits.

In the morning, it was just me, Alan, and our parents, hanging out, talking, laughing, and complaining about stuff.

Alan complained about all the tests and exams he had to take, but we all knew he really enjoyed it. After all, he was the genius of the family. He got the brains and the social grace, while I got both the social awkwardness and the less-than-stellar grades. But my parents seemed to like me anyway, so....

Around two in the afternoon, Jenna and Wes showed up, on Alan's request, because he wanted to see how they were doing. And of course Jenna got a little distracted because, well, Alan was an eligible bachelor who was okay-looking...or better than okay-looking but I can't tell because he's my brother and so all I see is an annoying dude with...some good qualities.

Alan was just suggesting a game of Clue - a board game he enjoyed because it required thinking and deduction - between us adolescents when there was a knock on the door.

I rose from my place beside Jenna on the couch to see who it was while everyone chose their playing pieces. I'd already snagged Mrs. White, who is my favorite. I don't know why. I guess because she seems like a feisty, grumpy sort of person who doesn't want any stupid men in her kitchen!

I peered through the peephole on the door, and groaned. Of course he'd show up today. Ugh. There was the infernal Mr. Hot Stuff, standing on my front porch, holding a large bag in one hand and scratching at his chin with the other.

"Who is it, Ali?" Alan asked.

"A nuisance," I replied, grumbling.

"Huh?" Of course poor, dear Alan didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I sighed. "Some guy from school. We had a....project together, and now, apparently, he's under the impression that we're friends." Mom and Dad had relocated to the kitchen, that's the only reason why I told a half-truth. If they'd been in here, I probably would've said Flynn was one of Jenna's friends.

Halfheartedly, I opened the door. A wide grin spread across his face, the face that still displayed a painful cut on the cheek.

"Hey Alison!" He said cheerfully, "I brought you something."

"Ooh! What is it?" Jenna called from the couch, "come in, show us!"

Jenna is one of the greatest people on earth, but sometimes...I really don't like her. I stepped aside for Flynn to enter, and he sidled past me, toting that bulky bag along with him.

He set it on the coffee table and plopped down beside Jenna, who seemed quite pleased. I closed the door and took a spot standing by the bag.

"So, you must be Alan," Flynn said, extending his hand to my brother, who looked a bit surprised by our unexpected visitor and by the fact that this mysterious guy knew his name.