Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I wake up in a strange apartment, surrounded by things I don't recognise and an empty bed.

Please, no...

Did I imagine the whole thing? Was I dreaming? Did any of it really happen?

Several thoughts swirl through my mind and I can't make sense of them as I sit up in bed.

"Niall?" I call out, panic rising in my voice.

"Hey, it's ok." He assures me, entering the bedroom. "I'm right here."

"I-I didn't know where you were." I tell him, exhaling slowly. "I thought I'd dreamt the whole thing."

"That's what I was afraid of." He chuckles lightly, joining me on the bed. "One of the main reasons I didn't sleep at all."

"You've been awake all night?"

"I couldn't help it." He smiles, tucking my hair back behind my ear. "I was scared I'd wake up and realise I'd dreamt the whole thing."

"It wasn't a dream though, was it?"

"No it wasn't."

He links our fingers, raising my hand so he can kiss the back of it.

"Niall, there's still so much we have to talk about." I remind him, overwhelmed by how much we have to catch up on.

"All of that can wait. Right now, all I want to do is finish your breakfast."

He jumps off the bed and heads back into the kitchen, encouraging me to follow him.

"You're making breakfast? As in breakfast in bed?" I ask, peeking my head around the doorway.

"That's right." He laughs, putting some bacon in the frying pan.

"No one has ever done that for me before."

"Glad to hear it. I want to be the first and only."

"Can I help you at all?" I offer, pulling on the T-shirt he gave me last night.

"Nope. Go back to bed and relax." He winks, allowing his eyes to roam my body for a few seconds.

I do as he says and hop back into bed, placing some pillows behind me so I can sit up comfortably.

"Do... do you have somewhere to be today?" I enquire, wondering how I can switch the TV on.

"Nowhere!" He replies, shouting through from the kitchen. "I plan on spending the whole day with you if that's ok."

"Of course it is." I laugh, closing my eyes so I can savour this moment.

"Do you remember the times we would fantasise about having breakfast in bed when we were in the children's home?" Niall asks, joining me a few minutes later.

"We would curl up and pretend someone was downstairs making it for us." I add, recalling those dismal days growing up.

"Here we are ten years later..." He whispers, slipping underneath the covers beside me.

"Niall... I want to know everything." I blurt out, trying to ignore how incredible his hand feels gliding up my leg.

"How do you mean?"

"I want to know all about your life. Tell me everything."

"I don't know if you really want that, Evie."

He lowers his gaze and removes his hand, regret and sadness consuming his voice.

"But I do."