Time Passes Quickly

I wake up to my phone ringing on my bedside table. I rub my eyes as I check the caller ID. Private Number it reads.

The time at the top of the screen says its only 6:47 am, God who is calling me this early in the morning? I grab my phone, grunting as I swipe my thumb across the screen to answer.

"Hello?" I ask in a really sleepy voice.

"Hello? Is this Ellie?" they say through the speaker. I'm hardly awake yet so I can't even tell who's voice this belongs to.

"Mhmmmm" I reply while yawning.

"Ellie! Its Louis, how are you babe?" he sounds really excited.

"Mhhmmm I'm tired" I reply. My eyes constantly closing and I almost fall asleep on the phone. Wait.. Louis Tomlinson!?

"LOUIS! Oh heyyy!" I say suddenly awake. I jump out of my bed sheets, grinning to myself.

"I'm great, thanks for asking" he laughs at me.

"Not my fault that I'm not even half awake. Its not even 7am yet!"

He continues laughing.

"Well I have woken you up already okay? Now be ready in half an hour because the boys and I are taking you to the beach" he tells me. I can tell there's a smile clear in his voice.

The beach.. Great, just the last thing I wanted to do. I used to love the beach when I was much younger, always asking my parents to go to there. I used to sit there in the water watching my sister trying to catch small fish as they scurried by. My mum and I always used to dig in the sand below the water looking for clams while my sister and father went to the back beach to catch some waves.

When I was 10 years old, I was in Queensland for a holiday with my cousin. We had left at early hours in the morning to go by the beach and explore the rock pools. The waves were tiny and the air was warm. There were only small, white clouds scattered across the clear blue sky, so we knew it was going to be safe and not too windy. As we were walking on the rocks, it started bucketing down out of nowhere. It started getting colder and windier by the second and we knew we would have had to go ASAP.

We started making our way back to the shore when all of a sudden, a large wave started forming in the distance. By now, my cousin and I were halfway between the edge of the rocks and the shore. As the wave started getting closer, my cousin picked me up and lifted me over his shoulder and sprinted across the dry rocks. We got to the edge of the shore when my cousin reached in his pocket to get out his phone to check the weather. It was missing. He was taking photos of the ocean earlier whilst we were on the rocks so he definitely had brought it with him. He spotted his phone in the distance, stuck in between two rocks close to the middle and he told me to stay close to the sand dunes on the beach while he would go retrieve it. There was no doubt he was the most protective cousin ever, but he needed his phone back otherwise we wouldn't be able to contact any of our parents while on holidays.

The wave was getting closer and by the time it started crashing down near the rocks, my cousin was halfway towards his phone. Luckily, the wave crashed against the rocks but didn't flow over them. It was like there was a barrier, the rocks were protecting themselves from the heavy waves ascending towards us. My cousin James grabbed his phone and started making his way back towards the beach, and of course his back was faced parallel to the ocean and waves. He slipped on one of the rocks, causing his ankle to twist and he fell in between two rocks. He got back up and started limping back towards me. Unfortunately, my eye sight wasn't too good and I was unable see the massive wave approaching the rocks. Run James! I screamed just as I saw the wave crashing down on the rocks, forcing itself on to each and every rock that blocked its path towards the beach. As soon as James turned around, the wave swept him away to the other side of the rocks. When I started running towards his body, he looked up and put his hand out to stop me where I was. I refused to do so and ran towards him. Another two waves crashed against the rocks and fell on top of him, causing him to split his skull on a sharp rock. By the time I had reached him, his head and surroundings were covered in blood. I reached for his phone to call an ambulance but it wasn't working due to water damage.