Chapter 18, My Husband

"So Tyler, What do you want to do for a living?" Jessie's dad asks Tyler.

Tyler finishes chewing, and swallows, "Well, I don't really know... I like, and I gues I'm pretty good, football. It's always really been there. You know?" Tyler looks over at Jessie and see's him grinning.

Tyler smiles back.

"I do, I used to play a little." Jessie's dad says, putting a spoon full of food in his mouth. Jessie practically chokes, "You did? I didn't know that."

His dad laughs, "You never asked son."

"Well... I never really had a interest in it." Jessie explains, glancing at Tyler, to see him laughing.

"What's so funny?"

"oh, no... nothing you did. Just something I remember." I distant look clouds his beautiful eyes.

Jessie's mother, being as nosy as she is, asked what that was.

Tyler looked around the table.

"I don't know... I just... I remember this one summer, When the economy crashed, my parents were given a two month break. like a vacation, but without pay. And that was the first summer they ever took us anywhere with them... So when we got to the lake house, we all went swimming, and my dad... brought a football and gave it to me." Tyler sets his fork down."That was the first time he played football with me..." He looks up at the people in front of him. "It was great, Until my sister wanted to play. So of course my mother had to join. And my sister ended up throwing the ball, and somehow, it hit both me and my father. She and my mother died laughing." He smiled at the memory, then frowned at his choosing of words

"She sounds like a lovely lady. When can we meet your family?" Jessie's moms asks.

Jessie starts shaking his head at her, she looks confused, until Tyler answers, "Oh, well... My sister's dead, and my parents hate me..." he looks up, and his eyes widen, as if he just heard what he said, "I'm sorry. I have to- Um. Use the-.. Pee." He stands, and standers towards the bathroom.

Jessie's mother looks so sad, and his father has pity in his eyes.

Jessie clears his throat, "I should go check on him.", he whispers.

~~~

"Tyler, are you okay?" Jessie asks, behind the stall.

"peachy, Do your parents hate me?" 

"What? Why would they hate you?" Tyler opens the stall, "I don't know, I made a fool of myself. And I talked about things I shouldn't-"

"You talked about things that matter to you. You're brave. One of the bravest people I know. And if my parents hated you... I would choose you.' Jessie couldn't believe that he said that. But the look on Tyler's face, was worth it.

"Really?" Tyler asks.

"Really." Jessie confirms.

Tyler smiles, and it makes Jessie's night. 

Tyler steps forward, and places his hands on Jessie's hip, "Is this okay?"

Jessie smiles, "Why wouldn't be?" He says.

Tyler laughs, and kisses Jessie.

They hear someone clear their throat.

They jump back, seeing a 40 year-old man glaring at them, "I don't mind a little PDA. But I'd rather it not be in in the bathroom of my restaurant." He grins.

Tyler and Jessie both blush, "We're so sorry. We just, had to talk. I understand if you're angry," Jessie try's to say.

The man laughs, "Don't worry about it. Me and my husband actually prefer that people be themselves around here. It's so uptight in here." He winks and makes his way towards the sink.

Jessie and Tyler share a look, before asking the owner for permission, before they do what they're about to do.