Chapter Eighteen

Harry was relieved to see Dumbledore was at his usual place during breakfast. He pointed it out to Ron and Hermione. Ron whispered to him, "Are you going to tell him about what happened yesterday?'

"First, I need to know if we succeeded," Harry whispered back.

"What are you two whispering about?" asked Hermione, frowning.

"Nothing," muttered Ron. "Just wondering how Harry could corner Dumbledore."

"What for?" asked Hermione. "Merope won't be coming anymore. Her week was up yesterday, wasn't it?"

"Still, we should tell Dumbledore about what happened, shouldn't we?" asked Harry, lowering his head so that Hermione would not catch his lie. There were times when he wondered if Hermione knew Legilimency.

"Yes," shrugged Hermione. "He has to know."

Ron and Harry exchanged a look. Harry cleared his throat. "There's something I need to tell you first,"

Hermione looked instantly suspicious. "What have you two been up to?" she asked, with a glance which reminded Harry quite forcibly of Professor McGonagall.

Harry glanced around him. No one seemed to be listening. But he did not want to incur Hermione's wrath at the breakfast table. Fortunately, they had a free period after the first class.

"Later," he whispered. "It's a long story."

Hermione was, quite understandably, angry. She was miffed and upset. But once Harry and Ron told her about their visit to Tom Riddle Sr., she calmed down enough to frown. Which was a definite improvement on the scowl, thought Harry.

"So you're saying it was you two who convinced Voldemort's father to take him?"

"Yes," said Harry impatiently. "What has that to do with anything?"

"You succeeded," said Hermione.

"How do you know that?" asked Ron, surprised.

"Don't you remember? Of course, you don't. Well, the long and short of it is that you, Harry, told us after your last lesson with Professor Dumbledore that Tom Riddle Jr. was in his father's house when Professor Dumbledore went to give him his Hogwarts letter. And at the time Professor Dumbledore did not think to question Tom Riddle Sr. as to the circumstances under which he brought his son home. By the time the question became important, Tom Riddle Sr. was dead. So, Professor Dumbledore felt there was some inexplicable mystery linked to Tom Riddle Jr.'s rescue from the orphanage." She paused. "Only, there was no mystery. It was only the two of you, meddling in things and not telling your best friend!"

Ron managed to look guilty and Harry forced himself to look ashamed. But at least, their immediate doubts were cleared.

"But-" Ron started. "It didn't change anything. Going from the orphanage to his dad's home did not change him."

"Tom Riddle Sr. did not appear to have been an adequately loving Dad," muttered Hermione. "But he still might have been an improvement on the orphanage. It is surprising that no change has happened." She looked at Ron. "You do come up with some good insights at times. I'm impressed."

She turned to look at Harry. "You need to go right now to Dumbledore and tell him everything."

"I was thinking of the evening," said Harry.

"What if you land in detention?" she asked. "Better not take chances."

Harry opened his mouth to retort hotly that there wasn't going to be any detention, when Ron said, "Hermione's right. We've got Snape coming up next. The odds of you getting a detention are quite good, if you ask me. Better not chance it."

"That's Snape' problem," muttered Harry angrily. But he knew his friends had a point. Dumbledore was here today. He could not postpone this to another day.