Chapter Thirteen

Merope sighed deeply when Harry told her that Dumbledore could not come, but he'd sent Harry as his deputy.

"He trusts you," she murmured. "I knew it from the beginning. But I'd hoped he would send someone older and wiser."

Her eyes went to Harry who started fidgeting uncomfortably.

"But age does not always equate to wisdom..." she murmured. "If he chose you, if he trusts you, there must be a reason...."

She made a gesture and the device whose image Harry saw materialized on the floor. It was smaller than a time turner, Harry saw. And it had no chain. It was like a brooch.

"You will need to pin it on you. The one who sent me back has set it to go to the right time. You can take someone with you if you wish. He or she should be touching you when you activate it by telling it your name."

"That's all that's required?" Harry asked, surprised.

"Oh yes, this is a very powerful magical artefact. But do not tinker with it or try to change the time set in it. It will destroy itself if such attempts are made."

"Who sent you back?" Asked Harry, curious.

"I'm not permitted to reveal that," said Merope. "And now I must leave. I thank you. I know you shall save my child."

She disappeared.

Ron came out of the cloak. "That was really weird." He looked at the object lying on the floor. "Doesn't look like much, does it?"

"No, it doesn't," said Harry. He took the cloak and folded it and shoved it into his pocket. His wand went into the other pocket. He bent down to take the device with Ron holding his shoulder in excitement.

As soon as he touched it, Harry felt a rush of air. His whole body tingled with the magic of the device. The world fell away and Harry felt as if he was floating in a void with Ron. Then their feet found solid ground and they looked around in confusion.

They were in a small road that ran next to a Manor House and it was day time.

"Where are we?" Muttered Ron, holding his wand aloft.

Harry's mouth was dry, for he'd recognized the place. But it looked different.

"Little Hangleton," said he in a hollow voice. He took out his wand as he spoke. And the cloak, throwing it around both of them.

"Are you sure?" Asked Ron in a hushed whisper.

"Yes," Harry muttered. "I'm certain. But it looks different somehow."

Ron swallowed. "Different how?"

Harry shook his head, "I don't know. It feels more- alive." He looked around and his eyes fell on a house near where they were standing.

"That's the Riddle House," he muttered. "But it looks -new, well maintained."

"How is that possible?" Asked Ron, fearfully. "And how is it daytime?"

"Ron," muttered Harry. "We're in the past! We're in Little Hangleton where Tom Riddle Sr lives!"