Chapter 11 - Football Try-outs

It took me forever to upload a chapter and for that I. AM. SORRY. :'( It's just that I got too busy with school and well, time flies. I'll try to upload the next chapter as soon as I can. Peace out!

-Vee

!❤!❤!❤!❤!❤!❤!❤!❤!❤!

"Rome! Over here! Hey!" I screamed. I was at the cafeteria and it was filled with too much kids. The principal should really change the breaks of some classes. It's hard when all of the students have the same recess schedule. Rome smiled and rushed to me, the food on his tray almost spilling.

"Hey, cous." He greeted as he sat down next to me. "Guess what!"

"What?" I smiled at him. He hasn't been this enthusiastic in a long time.

"I'm trying out for the football team!"

My eyebrows shot up in surprise. Rome? Football? I snorted. He doesn't exactly have the athletic build. In fact, he's pretty thin for a guy. Rome heard and glared at me. "You should at least support me." He muttered, biting angrily at his apple.

"I am!," I argued. "I'll even watch your try-outs." But my mind was thinking if Aiden would be there. He probably will be since he is the captain. I blushed, remembering the note Aiden left me.

"Hello. Earth to Ella?" Someone was waving their hands in my face. It was Van.

"Oh. Hi, Van!" I greeted him. He only looked at me strangely. "I've been sitting here the whole time."

I stuck my tongue out and started to eat my lunch, feeling a bit embarrassed.

~~~~~

"Hey, Van. Do you think Rome will pass the try-outs?" I felt worried for Rome. I wouldn't want him breaking a bone or two. We were sitting at the bleachers. Van was eating two corndogs. The other one was supposed to be mine but eh, boys.

"I don't know. But don't worry too much. I'm sure he'll turn out great."

"How can I not worry? I mean, look at him!" I said, pointing at Rome who was standing awkwardly in the field, trying to stretch. Van chuckled and I glared at him.

"I'm serious here!" I grumbled. Van shuffled my head and smiled fondly. "You're acting like his mother."

"Well, somebody has too. It's not like my Mom is of any help."

"Just don't forget that your also a kid yourself." Van said. Since when did he turn so wise?

"I'll be 18 next month, for your information which technically, makes me an adult." I informed him. The throw test was starting. Rome grabbed the foot ball and braced himself for the throw. Van took his phone out. "What are you doing?" I asked him in an absent minded tone, all my attention focused on Rome.

"Taking a video." He answered.

Rome was standing in the middle of the field and threw the ball. I stood up in surprise. "Oh. My. God. Did you see that?" I asked Van excitedly. The ball flew so far away and almost touched the goal.

I could see the coach looking at Rome with approval. "Yes, I did. I told you not to worry." Van said, sounding smug.

"Yeah, yeah."

Now that I've seen Rome is able to throw well, which means that he has about 80% chance of passing, my eyes wandered around the field looking for him.

"Looking for someone?" Van nudged me playfully. I blushed and ignored him. Aiden was in the other group since there were two groups of boys. He was talking to them while the coach manages the other group where Rome belonged.

He looks a bit tired. My eyes widened in surprise when his blue eyes met mine then his eyes moved over to Van which I have to admit, made me a tad bit jealous.

"I think he's coming over," Van muttered dryly. "He just can't get over you, can he?"

I slapped him in the shoulder. "Shhhhh!" Aiden is walking over to us and I don't want him to overhear.

"Hey, Ella." his simple greeting made my heart do somersaults. I gave a curt nod at Aiden since my voice seemed to have gone somewhere at the moment. "Van, did you give the note?" Holy smackens! Aiden was asking about the note. That is currently in my pocket. Which is so crumpled because I read it over and over again.

"Yes, I did." Van answered, his voice a bit annoyed. I wanted to slap him upside the head. Why is he being so rude?

"Did. . . she say anything?" Aiden sounded so hopeful that my heart felt torn up. I was looking at the ground while the two boys talked, acting like I wasn't listening but of course, I was.

"Nope." Van replied. "Did she say anything, Ella?" He raised his eyebrows at me as if to challenge me.

My eyes widened in surprise. No! Why is he doing this?

"W-what are you guys talking about?" I stuttered.

"Nothing." Aiden looked like he forgot I was there. "Well," He rubbed the back of his neck and gave a sad smile to Van. "Thanks anyway, man." Then he hurried back to the field.

"What the hell was that about, Van?! 'Did she say anything, Ella?'" I asked him with as much sarcasm I could muster.

"I'm so pissed! You clearly like him and he likes you back. He does everything to get to know you but you do everything to avoid it," Van ran his hand through his hair in frustation. I glared at him, feeling angry but knowing that he's right. "But that's not all, he looks at me like I'm the only person that could help him look for you! Do you know what it feels like to lie to his face? I may be your best friend, Ella but this facade of yours is hurting people. Especially me and Aiden." Van said, his shoulders hunched. I looked at my best friend. I didn't even know that he was having a hard time and I call myself his best friend.

"I don't know what to say." I was trying not to cry. "I'm sorry." I apologized with as much sincerity I could muster.

"Do you even know why I'm hurting or why you're apologizing?" He laughed humorlessly. I haven't seen Van this upset and it was starting to make me feel so undeniably guilty since I'm the reason why. I shook my head at him because I couldn't speak anymore. Tears were starting to fall from my eyes.

"I love you, Ella." His voice ached with so much pain and meaning that it felt like my heart was breaking. My eyes widened and I opened my mouth to say something but closed it again. What do you say in situations like this? I feel so stupid for not knowing about his feelings. I felt ashamed since I always talk to him about Aiden but I never even noticed the way he felt about me. I'm the worst best friend ever.

"I love you too, Van." I said in a weak voice, knowing that the love I felt for him was different. He shook his head sadly and wiped a tear on my cheek.

"I think we need time apart." Van stood up and I looked at him in panic. Was he going to leave me just like that?

"But-"

"Only for a while," He said, his back turned to me. "It's not like I can stay away from you for too long." Van gave me a sad smile and left.

That night, I texted Bill that I wouldn't be able to go in Black Sun. It was my first time cancelling a gig and I felt bad for the trouble I caused Bill since he had to find a replacement but at least he was nice about it. I just had too much in my mind and I didn't want to sing in front of so many people with a chance of bursting into tears. So here I am, holding my guitar, thinking about what Van said.

I feel like I should do something for Van as an apology for hurting him. But I don't know what.

But then a thought hit me.

I just wish Van would like it enough to forgive me for being stupid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's it for chappie 11! :) Hope you enjoyed it. Thank you to the readers who comment, vote and fan. I appreciate it with all my heart! ❤ :')

I'll start working on chapter 12 as soon as I can. Love you guys!