Chapter 16 - Goodbye (FINAL)

This is chapter 16. Yay! Enjoy. ;)

------------------------------

Chapter 16 - Goodbye

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked sadly, holding my tears in.

"It's just you were so happy and I didn't want to make you sad." He admitted. Van walked over to me and clutched my face. "Don't cry, Ella."

"So what then?" I looked at him with furious tears in my eyes. "You were just going to leave without a word? Because that would make everything so much better." I said sarcastically. Van actually looked sheepish and my eyes widened in disbelief. I can't believe he was planning to leave the country without saying anything to me!

"Look, I know, it was stupid of me for not telling you sooner-"

"Yes, very stupid."

"But I didn't know it would be so hard to say goodbye knowing the days we spent together were numbered." Van said the truth, his amber eyes looking sad. I hugged him then as tight as I could and he did the same. How could I face the world without Van by my side?

"How long will you be gone?" My voice broke. He's not even gone yet but my heart is already hurting.

"A year. But if Mom does well. . . I don't know." Van let go of me and he started to fold his clothes again. I sat next to him and helped him. Both of us were quiet until I broke the silence.

"I'll miss you everyday." I sniffled as I wiped the snot under my nose. Very charming, I know.

Van stopped folding and looked at me. I was surprised to see there were tears in his eyes. He never cried when he broke his arm climbing a tree or when he broke his leg so seeing him cry made tears fall continuously in my eyes.

"Ella, I'll miss you too. Every second, every hour, every day. But we can still talk to each other and maybe you can visit London when you want," Van stroked my hair. "I'll tour you around when I get familiar with the city."

"Really?"

"Really."

I sighed and leaned my head in his shoulder. I feel a bit better now. My phone suddenly ringed which made me jump. I quickly grabbed it in my pocket and saw that Aiden was calling. I answered.

"Hello?" My voice was a bit raspy since I kept on crying.

"Hey, Ella. I said I would call you." Aiden said cheerily which made me smile. I mouthed Aiden to Van since he was asking who it is.

"You did." I coughed to clear my voice.

"Are you sick?" He asked worriedly.

"Oh, no. I was just clearing my voice."

"So what are you up to?" He asked me.

"I'm actually at Van's place." I mumbled, worried that he would mind.

"I see. Am I interrupting something?" Aiden sounded suspicious but hopefully it was just my imagination.

"No, not at all." I said quickly.

"Hey, Ella. Do you mind if I talk to him for a minute?" Van held his hand out for my phone.

"Um, Aiden. Van wants to talk to you. Is it okay?"

"Sure, I guess." Aiden replied, uncertain.

I handed my phone  to Van with a worried look. He stood up and went outside of his room. Van gestured for me to stay but of course I didn't listen. I quietly followed Van until he stepped outside the house and I waited behind the door to listen in.