Chapter Fifty-Five | Grimmauld Place, August 1995

Chapter Fifty-Five

Grimmauld Place, August 1995

         It had been twenty-four years since Silas had first stepped foot into war, let it curb his choices and put fear in him. He had never experienced such fear. Joining the Order of the Phoenix had fulfilled him some ways, emptied him in others; now, as one of the main leaders, he felt simply hollow.

His children were quite grown up now, with his youngest Magnus at fourteen, and Ivy at seventeen – her last year of Hogwarts. Orson was twenty, and ran his own little school in a wizarding village. Anthea was one of the most promising lawyers of her age, and Estelle was writing a book on her time in Egypt while she waited (impatiently) for her son to be born in December. Silas felt old, though he wasn't particularly. However, as we entered Grimmauld place and spotted Sirius Black, he felt years being shovelled onto his shoulders.

"Silas!" a spark flew in Sirius' silvery eyes, and he loped down the hall. "Guess whose here?"

"Harry?" asked Silas, sharing a small smile. This is what had shot youth into Sirius' veins, taken lines from his face.

"You old fart," said Sirius fondly, "Couldn't even guess wrong once."

"Sorry," Silas chuckled. "I suppose you're busy then?"

"Don't even think of leaving, come down for lunch, it'll begin in a bit." Silas insisted. "You haven't come by since Harry showed up, I know he'd like to meet you."

Silas stalled, shifting nervously. "Oh – I really –"

"What is it?" Sirius studied him closely. "Oh, you...you feel guilty."

Silas' silence said more than his words ever could.

"You mustn't," said Sirius softly. "Its not your fault."

"Maybe not fully," he sighed deeply. "But there is blame to be given, I could have...done something. Anything."

"Come meet him," urged Sirius. "He's a good kid, you'll like him. He talks a bit like Lily, it's eerie."

"Like Lily?"

"Yeah." Sirius gripped his old friend's shoulder. "Come on now," his voice was gentle, and Silas nodded, following him down into the basement kitchen. Remus and Harry were sat around the table while Molly bustled about, stirring pots and babbling about housework. "Look who I found!" crowed Sirius, pushing Silas in before him.

"Silas!" said Remus happily, while Harry studied his face with the same acuteness Silas did to others. "We weren't expecting you!"

"Well, I thought I'd pop by, chat a bit."

"Stay for supper," Molly ordered. "I'm heating up lamb stew, your favourite."

"Thank you Mol." Silas smiled sheepishly, glancing at the teenager who resembled James so strikingly.

"Ah, Harry –" Silas sat beside his godson, beaming. "This is Silas Lacroix, he's one of the top dogs of the Order, and he was our supervisor during the first war."

"Team leader." Said Remus fondly.

"Fuck off," laughed Sirius, and Molly made a noise of protest.

"Language!" she cried.

Silas sat tentatively. "Sirius' attitude hasn't gotten any better since 1978," he chuckled.

"Hi," said Harry, a little shyly. "If you were their leader, then..."

"He was your parents' too," supplied Remus.

"He probably saved all our arses a dozen times." Sirius added. "Wicked fighter, Silas."

Silas self-consciously touched the scar that ran down the left side of his face, a reminder from '75, when he had saved that little girl. "I do all right."

"Pish," interrupted Molly, "Silas was top of our class at school."

"You went to Hogwarts together?" asked Harry, surprised.

"Arthur and I both, we're still the best of friends." Molly smiled dreamily. "We did have fun, didn't we Sy?"

"Good fun, indeed Mol." He accepted a cup of tea from her, tugging her down for a hug and a friendly peck on the cheek.

"You probably know some of Silas' children, Harry," Remus said. "Magnus is what, thirteen?"

"Fourteen," Silas shook his head, "Unbelievable. And Ivy is seventeen. Oh, and my nephew Oliver was your team at the start, Harry."

"Wood?" asked Harry, surprised. "I know Magnus and Ivy, too. Isn't Ivy on the Hufflepuff team?"

"She is," said Silas proudly.

"She's a wicked player," Harry grinned. "We'd beat Hufflepuff twice as often if she wasn't their keeper."

"Ha!" Sirius barked out a laugh. "You going to let him get away with that Silas?"

Silas merely shrugged. "Goes both ways."

The rest of the Weasley's came down, as well as another girl, Hermione Granger. Silas ate with them, chatted with the Weasley children he hadn't seen in a while. The twins asked after Ivy, moaning about how their buddy was still in the country while they were stuck in London.

As they ate, Silas watched Harry out of the corner of his eye. He was quiet mostly, laughing at the jokes and smiling a little, but mostly seemed preoccupied. Silas knew the hearing for his expulsion had been draining, and understood what he might be going through – if he knew anything about Albus Dumbledore, he was sure the old wizard was ignoring him with everything going on.

When the meal was over, Silas kissed Molly's cheek, ruffled the Weasley's boys' hair, and gave Ginny a fond hug. "I'll be off, I believe Estelle is dropping baby Will off for the afternoon."

"Named after my Bill," Molly told Harry and Hermione. "Essie and he have been best friends since birth, isn't that right Silas?"

"That's right." He waved, and said goodbye, going upstairs. Sirius showed him out.

"Thanks for staying," Sirius said, "It was nice to have you. Almost felt like old times, with you and Remus and Harry all here."

"It was." He gave Sirius a firm hug. "Be careful now, don't let your restlessness get the best of your judgement."

Sirius gave him a sheepish grin. "I'm trying, its just...I feel so useless."

"You're far from useless. Just, focus on Harry. He needs support right now, with everything that's happening."

Running a hand through his thick hair, Sirius sighed. "I just wish that James and Lily were here. They would know what to do."

"They made you Harry's godfather for a reason, Sirius." He said, squeezing his shoulder. "They trusted you to know what was best for him, and I do too."

"Thank you." Sirius' voice was choked.

Silas left Grimmauld place with a heavy heart. He turned to look back at the bleak building and spotted Harry at the second story window, looking down at him. He raised his hand, waving quickly before the house disappeared from his sight.

A/N: I'm on break! Hopefully I'll get a lot down in the next month...

Question: do you think Harry and Silas will meet again, and what will come of it?

Rose