Chapter Two || Platform 9/3, September 1st 1938

Chapter Two

Platform 9 ¾, September 1st 1938

                Two eleven year olds made their way through the crowds of the train station, a young patron following them. Tom Riddle was dressed as sharply as he could, with a ratty old blazer stolen from a shop down the road. He didn’t want to appear poor, although that was the truth – he was poorer than most poor boys in London. He had no family.

Except possibly Gwyn.

For as long as Tom could remember Gwyn had been at his side. Even now she walked silently beside him twisting her hair ribbons in her fingers. She rarely wore the pale blue ribbons that Tom had got her for her birthday, only on special occasions. He was reluctant to encourage her, lest she hold onto him even tighter.

From a very young age he realized it was good to have someone to vouch for you, to believe you were good – especially if you enjoyed doing bad things. Gwyn was his voucher, the one who believed in him. Tom knew she cared very deeply for him, but he did not return her need for a comforting face, a friend. He required an ally, someone to make him look less odd.

He enjoyed Gwyn’s company on some occasions, yes; she was not as nearly annoying as any other child at the orphanage nor particularly nosy. She just wanted a friend, and by the fate of Mrs. Cole who had placed them in the same crib all those years ago – she had one in Tom.

Gwyn loved his magic. She didn’t know he was going to school for it, she was quite dim that way – didn’t know what was right in front of her. His magic convinced her to follow him, which worried Tom – how would he gain “friends” when they all had the same abilities?

Tom knew he had to go to a special platform, a hidden one, but he didn’t know how to get rid of the patron and Gwyn. The patron would be easy – she was dumb as wood. Gwyn however…she would want to stay at his side for as long as possible.

“I’ll be fine from here.” He said to the two of them, turning swiftly around.

Gwyn gave him a startled look. “You don’t want us to walk you to the train?”

“No.” he tried to be sharp, but Gwyn’s lower lip was beginning to tremble, her fingertips going purple from twisting the ribbons too tightly. “Gwyn, if you cry…”

“I’m not.” She defended, wiping her eyes quickly. “I guess I’ll see you at Christmas?”

“Sure.” He lied. “I’ll see you then.” He hadn’t told Gwyn that he wouldn’t be returning at Christmas, or any other Christmas ever again. He hoped he would be able to stay over the summer. If he were lucky, he would never see Wools Orphanage again. If he didn’t see Gwyn either, well, he’d survive.

He couldn’t stop Gwyn from launching at him, hugging him so tightly he lost his breath. “I’ll miss you, Tom.” She whispered, pulling away. She straightened his collar, a force of habit – she’d been fixing his collar since they were four.

Tom cleared his throat. “I’ll – um – miss you, too.”

“Get a move on,” the patron said. “Don’t want to miss your train.”

Giving Gwyn a wave, he walked into the crowd, not even looking back.

Gwyn waved at his back, watching his head of dark hair disappear. “He’ll be back for Christmas.” She told the patron, who nodded without listening. “He’ll be back.” She said again, but to herself. He had seemed so desperate to go.

                The Hogwarts express was packed with students, the platform packed with parents – Tom wondered if that should make him sad. It didn’t particularly. He was standing at one of the windows and looked out when a snippet of conversation reached him.

“Of course I’ll be in Slytherin, there is no other house that matters in my family.” One boy was saying to another. “Same goes for you, Avery.”

The other boy nodded seriously. “I would be disowned. Though if I were put somewhere else I’d just go home.”

Tom had read about the houses when he’d picked up his schoolbooks. Slytherin was the house for him, he knew it.

“Excuse me.” He said smoothly, going up the boys. “I heard you talking about Slytherin.”

“You expect to get in.” the first boy said.

“Yes.” Tom nodded curtly. “There is no other house for me, the others are a joke.” He knew what to say to win the boys trust.

“I agree.” The first boy stuck out his hand. “Irving Lestrange.” He pointed to Avery. “This is Douglas Avery.”

“Tom Riddle.”

Lestrange gave him a funny look. “Never heard of your family, you must not be pure blood.”

“I am.” Tom assured him, though really he had no idea. He had to be pureblood, there was really no other possible thing he could be. Pure blood was the way to get places. “Last of my line.”

“Hm. Well, join us Riddle. We have a lot to learn about each other.”

Tom entered the compartment, ready to begin his new life. He didn’t think of Gwyn once.

A/N: So there's chapter two! You get a better look at how Tom and Gwyn's relationship operates, what Tom thinks. 

Question: What do you think of the two youngsters?

Rose