Chapter Seventeen | London, June 1948

Chapter Seventeen

London, June 1948

As a child, Gwyn had grown used to seeing doctors. With her weak heart, she was constantly told that her death could be any day, or she would live to one hundred. Death was Gwyn's shadow, and Doctors sat at the sidelines, waiting to deliver prophecies of her health.

Sitting outside the hospital, Gwyn tucked her head between her legs and sobbed. It was supposed to help with the nausea, but also conveniently hid her tears. The area was deserted, and Gwyn grabbed her bag before speeding off – Anthony's flat wasn't far. He would know what to do.

Anthony answered the door, still in his robe. He took one look at her face and knew something was wrong. "Gwynnie?" he tugged her inside, wrapping her up in his arms. "What's happened, why are you crying?"

"I – I –"

"Come upstairs, yeah, c'mon," he led her up, stationed her on the window seat, and brought her a cup of tea. "What's going on?" his face went stony suddenly. "Didn't you have your doctors appointment this morning?"

She nodded. "They – they told me that I'm –"

"What, Gwyn? What did they tell you?" he grabbed her hands, steeling himself for terrible news. What if Gwyn was dying? He couldn't lose his best friend, not now.

"I'm pregnant." The news fell heavy on their shoulders, and Anthony let out a breath of what he was ashamed to call relief.

"That's so much better than dying." He sighed.

"Anthony!"

"Well, it is." He hugged her. "Tom's, is it?"

"Unfortunately."

"Well, what do you want to do?"

Gwyn's lower lip quivered once more with tears. "I don't know. I'm not married, Tom will never support me – my life is over."

"It's not over." Anthony got up, heading for the bedroom. "I'll be right back."

Gwyn stared miserably out the window, at passer-by's with their groceries and partners and children. This is what she would never have. Ever her mother, who had been younger than Gwyn, had had someone to support and love her.

Anthony returned, knelt by her. "Don't say anything," he said softly. "Just listen, okay?"

"Okay." Gwyn attempted to compose herself, meeting Anthony's steady gaze.

"Gwyn, I want to marry you." Said Anthony firmly. "We both know I'm gay –"

"Anthony, I can't –" they had never spoken much of Anthony's sexuality; it was not obvious, and the only time it had been mentioned was when Gwyn told him she didn't care. They were best friends, it didn't bother her if he liked men or women or whomever. Their love was platonic, strong and important.

"And I know you don't care. I'll never be able to be with a man, and you won't be able to either until the times change. You'll be a single mother," he sighed. "This is not pity, do you understand?"

Gwyn nodded. "I understand, but Anth...we don't love each other that way." The sun was spilling through the windows, lighting Anthony like the angel Gwyn always knew he was. "It would be like – like lying."

"Only to the world." He pleaded. "We can live comfortable lives, together. We are both going to be outcasts. This way we have stability, someone to support us."

Thinking it over, Gwyn eventually nodded. "I will marry you."

"Thank you." He sighed and sat beside her, letting her head rest on his shoulder. "If you ever change your mind, even months down the road – I'm okay with it."

"You're the best friend I've ever hard." Gwyn embraced him, hiding her face in his neck. "Thank you."

"I will love this child like my own," Anthony promised. "If anything were to ever happen to you, they will be safe and loved, okay?"

"Thank you." Gwyn couldn't say anything else. Instead, she let Anthony hold her as she cried. In a way, this was what she had always wanted. She let him put a tiny, delicate opal ring on her finger – his grandmothers.

Even though this was the way life was supposed to be, Tom still lingered. If she had her way, he would never know – she knew, deep down, that her childhood friend was dangerous. Now she had someone other than herself to think about, too. Tom would have no part of her life any longer. She would finally be free of him, once and for all. 

A/N: Okay, three updates in one night - it is definitely exam season.

Question: So much has HAPPENED. Gwyn is having Tom's baby, and is marrying Anthony, who is gay ("secret" is out, yes I knew that from the start). Thoughts?

Rose