Chapter Fourteen | Brighton, May 1947

Chapter Fourteen

Brighton, May 1947

           A cold sea wind hit Gwyn and Anthony as they walked briskly down the boardwalk, her yellow dress a drop of sun on such a grey day.

"Are you ready?" Anthony asked, squeezing her hand.

"I've been ready my whole life," she smiled, though her insides were turning themselves inside out. They came to a row house, and it looked warm and welcoming, with flower boxes and buttery light coming through the curtains. Faint music came from within, and every now and then a burst of laughter.

They only had to wait a moment after knocking that a frazzled old woman threw open the door. She let out a gutted sob, and raised a trembling hand to her mouth. "Poppy." She gasped. "I mean – Gwyn, sorry."

"Hullo." Gwyn gave her a nervous smile.

"Please, come in. I'm Pauline."

Stepping into the hall, Gwyn removed her coat. "My grandmother?"

"Yes." Pauline Phi was still shaking as she turned her head to the kitchen. "Colin, Colin – she's here, Gwyn is here!"

A podgy, cardigan swathed man came out, his eyes already watery behind his spectacles. "Oh, hullo." He sighed, seemingly in relief. "May...may I hug you?"

"Oh, of course." Gwyn glanced at Anthony, who nodded encouragingly. Her grandfather smelled like pine and wood smoke, and it was the best hug Gwyn could ever remember receiving. Pauline was next, and Gwyn immediately couldn't decide which hug was better – she didn't want to let go. "This is my friend, Anthony Lacroix." She suddenly remembered he was there, blushing a little. "He – well, Anthony encouraged me to do all this."

They retreated to the kitchen, were Pauline had put out a feast. They had just sat down to eat when the back door burst open, a woman with the same coppery hair as Gwyn breathing heavily. "Did I miss her – oh."

"Heather, we thought you couldn't make it?" Pauline asked, beaming. "Gwyn this is –"

"I'm your aunt." Heather dropped into the chair beside Gwyn, grasping her hands. "Oh God –"

"Heather, don't use –"

"Whatever, Ma – you look just like her." Heather had not taken her eyes off of Gwyn since she'd come in.

"My mother?"

"Poppy, yeah." It was then that Heather began to cry, and before Gwyn knew it, she had leant over to embrace her aunt.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Don't be," Heather cried. "I'm sorry for crying, it's just – I've been waiting twenty-two years for my sister to come home, and now I know this is the closest I'll ever get."

"We've all been waiting." Colin added.

"I don't actually know what happened," Gwyn turned to Anthony, reaching for his hand. "All we know is her name."

It was then that Gwyn learned that no one had even known Poppy had been pregnant. "She just disappeared," Pauline sniffed. "Out of nowhere, her bags were packed and there was no note, nothing."

"I was so angry." Heather continued. "I was only fifteen, and I didn't want my big sister to do anything without me. I thought she was off having adventures or something."

"So you don't know who my father could be?" this was the question Gwyn had been waiting to ask, drying to know – she had no mother, she'd always known that. But what about the mysterious man who had fathered her? He must still be out there.

The Phi's all shook their heads. "No idea," Pauline said.

Colin frowned. "I mean, she had beaus."

Heather let out a little laugh. "She was the prettiest girl in town, and I know there are men here who still think about her. Wicked smart, too." She considered Gwyn then. "You're smart, aren't you?"

"I – well –"

"Very smart." Anthony interrupted. "Gwyn works at a library and attends university."

"Poppy was going to attend university." Pauline sniffed and shovelled more mashed potatoes on Anthony's plate. "She took a bit of the money meant for it, and we always assumed..."

"That it meant she was coming home." Finished Colin, putting a reassuring hand on his wife's shoulder. "We still have it, actually."

Heather bounced out of her seat, beaming. "Give it to Gwyn!" there was a fire in her eyes, a determination. "How are you paying for school now?"

"I – no – that's fine. I trade work for school, mostly." She shook her head. "Please, I couldn't take your money."

Colin was nodding. "Heather is right, we should give it to you. Poppy would have wanted that."

Gwyn left that evening with a cheque and a warm feeling. Heather offered to walk them back to the train station, and it was a teary goodbye at the Phi's doorstep.

"Thank you, for giving us closure." Said Pauline as she embraced her. "Please come visit us again."

"I will, I promise."

"You, too Anthony." Pauline gave Gwyn one last hug, and they were off with Heather at their side.

"You didn't have to walk us," said Gwyn.

"I wanted to, because...well, I couldn't say this in front of my parents." They were at the train station, under the dim lamps. Heather stuffed her hands into a pair of gloves and let out a rattling sigh, blowing a curl out of her eyes. "I think I may know who your father is."

Gwyn felt as if she might faint, and was thankful for Anthony's firm grip on her arm. "You...really?"

"Poppy was mad about him, couldn't stay away – no one knew though, except me. I think she went to London to be with him, back when she disappeared. He moved right around the same time." Heather took a piece of paper out of her pocket. "Here's his address, and where he works – I don't know anything about his life now, but back before Poppy left...well, he was a nice guy."

"Thank you Heather." Gwyn was tearing up, and she hugged her aunt tightly.

"I'd do anything for you, Gwyn." She smiled mournfully. "You're all I have left of Poppy. I want you to be happy."

On the train, watching the world whip by, Gwyn couldn't believe it.

"I could meet my father."

"It's amazing." Anthony held her hand. "Are you happy?"

"I am." She smiled up at him. "Really and truly happy."

A/N: Gwyn has FAMILY! Thats so EXCITING!

Question: What do you think Gwyn's father will be like?

Rose