Chapter Forty-Nine | England, October 31, 1981

Chapter Forty-Nine

England, October 31st, 1981

          There was soot hanging in the air, rubble strewn across the lawn. The roof was sagging, the right side of the top floor having been blown apart. Silas was afraid of what he would find there, among the dust and debris.

The gate was swinging in a slight breeze, and he closed it behind him. He walked through the open door and nearly threw up; James was lying on the stairs, wandless, eyes open. Silas removed his glasses, closed his eyes, and thought about what a good man laid before him. "I'm sorry." He whispered, before standing to climb the stairs.

There were pictures on the walls he recognized from their flats, toys on the floor he knew had come from friends. He had to stop halfway down the hall, leaning against the wall for support – he did not want to see Lily, he couldn't see her. It would break his heart.

He moved on, stepping over rubble and trying not break down in tears. Reaching Harry's nursery, Silas did not pause to look at Lily as he scooped the baby up in his arms. "Oh, Harry." He whispered, pressing a kiss to the baby's soft head.

"Ma – mamma – ma – ma –" Harry was crying, and Silas tried to sooth him.

Kneeling by Lily's body, he closed her green eyes, once so full of life. There was little more he could do, but as he held Harry he did something he had not done in years – said a prayer. Gwyn had taught him them, as a child.

"I was never much of a believer," she would say, as they knelt by his bed, hands clasped, "but there is nothing wrong with a bit of hope, and someone to talk to – someone who never speaks back." She would chuckle, he would smile. A prayer in time of need, when all hope is lost – that is what prayer was for, Gwyn said. In her sickest hour, they had knelt once more by her bed, and said words of hope.

"I'm sorry Lily." He took a deep breath, held Harry tighter, and grabbed a blanket. "It's okay Harry, it is, it's okay."

He walked through the house, covering Harry with the blanket. Once outside, he saw Rubeus Hagrid dismounting a motorcycle. "Rubeus!" he called, jogging over. "What are you doing here?"

"Dumbledore sent me," he let out a sniff. "Fer Harry 'ere."

"Well I've got him now Hagrid, tell Dumbledore that he will be staying with Inesa and I until we reach Sirius." It was then he noticed the motorcycle. "Isn't that Sirius'? He must be devastated."

"I need to take Harry, Silas." Hagrid insisted. "Dumbledore's order."

"Screw his orders!" cried Silas. "What does he want with him anyway?"

"Beats me," shrugged Hagrid. "All I know is, Dumbledore knows what's best, right?"

Silas looked down at Harry, who had somehow fallen asleep. Begrudgingly, he handed him over. "Tell Dumbledore there is a bed waiting for Harry at my home, and that I'll be tracking Sirius Black down."

"Right-o." Hagrid took Harry, holding him rather like a quaffel.

"Be careful with him, Hagrid." He said softly.

"I know, he's the champion of our world."

"He's also a baby with no parents."

Hagrid nodded solemnly. "I know. Don't worry Silas, I've got him."

Silas watched Hagrid fly off, arms hanging heavily by his side. He returned home, and went straight to his son's crib. Magnus was only five months old, sweet and cuddly. Sitting in the rocking chair in their room, he thought of how Lily and James would never have the chance to rock their child to sleep ever again.

The last time he had seen them, only two weeks ago, they had seemed so hopeful. James was talking of when they would come out of hiding; he wanted to take Harry on a camping trip. "He'll be old enough to appreciate some of it, by summer." He'd said, holding Lily's hand. "I want to show him all the things my dad did."

"We'll see you soon," Lily had hugged Silas so tightly, he had hardly been able to breathe. She had pulled away slightly, tears in her eyes. "I know you're not much older than us really," she spoke softly, "But my father died when I was a teenager, and you remind me so much of him and –"

"Lily," Silas and smiled, hugged her again. "Thank you."

She had nodded, stepped back, tears in her eyes. "See you soon then?"

"Soon." He had agreed, left their flat, gone home to Inesa and the kids. There had been no doubt in his mind that Sirius Black would keep their secret safe.

And then they had changed it, without consulting any of them – he had told them to be smart, to trust their gut. And now Harry Potter had no parents.

"Sy?" Inesa sat up in their bed, rubbing her eyes. "You're home...is it true? James and Lily, are they really...?"

Silas nodded. "It's true."

Inesa got out of bed, came and stood by him. Her pale eyes searched his face, and she put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Do you think it's over, really over?"

Looking down at his son's sleeping face, dark hair and eyes, then up at his wife of ten years. "I don't know Ness, I really don't."

A/N: Fuck, every damn time, I get so upset. 

Question: what will Silas do now that the war is (temporarily) over?

Rose