Chapter 27a: Resolution matrix (part 1)

CHAPTER 27

Resolution matrix (part 1)

After ice cream (yes, we really did get ice cream--Dr. Stuart claimed we needed it, plus she'd told my aunt we would and she didn't want to lie) we went back to the Stuarts' house to clean up.

There was no way I could go to Bri's house covered in dirt, straw and corn shuckings, and my only change of clothes was my Homecoming dress. So I called Bri and canceled, using my aunt as an excuse.

The Stuarts had three full baths and either an enormous water heater or some spiffy Martian technology with the same effect, so I was able to take a long, luxurious, guilt-free shower--something I hardly ever got to do at home. Dr. Stuart threw my jeans and shirt in the wash at the same time, so I wouldn't have to explain the state of those clothes to Aunt Theresa later.

By the time I finished drying my hair it was getting late, so I went ahead and put on the floaty, seafoam-green dress Bri had lent me. It fit beautifully, the halter top leaving my shoulders bare but without being at all risqué. Dr. Stuart helped me with my hair and makeup.

"Indulge me," she said when I protested that she'd already done enough. "One of my few regrets is that I've never had a daughter to dress up."

Since I couldn't think of any possible argument--not to mention how special it made me feel to have her fussing over me--I relaxed and enjoyed the attention.

Rigel seemed to appreciate the results, judging by his expression when we emerged from his parents' room. All he said aloud was "wow," but his eyes said much more.

I smiled but didn't say anything. Ever since he'd told me he loved me--at least, once we were out of crisis mode--I'd felt kind of shy and tongue-tied around him. I kept wondering if I'd imagined it, or if he'd maybe only said it because he thought we were about to die, but I couldn't think of any way to ask that wouldn't sound needy. And now he looked so gorgeous in his dark suit and white shirt that he almost didn't seem real--certainly not like someone who could possibly love me.

He held out his hand to me, though, and when I took it, I found it a little easier to believe. Together, we went downstairs.

Only to be met by Shim and Mr. Stuart, both looking very serious.

"M, Rigel, would you mind very much postponing your special dinner?" Rigel's dad asked. "There's barely time as it is, and Shim feels it's important that you both be brought up to speed on the situation as soon as possible. I can't help but agree."

I glanced at Rigel and he shrugged, so we both nodded. I hoped this wouldn't mean missing the dance, but I didn't want to sound shallow by saying so out loud.

Mr. Stuart must have read my expression, or maybe it was a mental communication from his wife, who had come down the stairs just behind us. "Not to worry," he said, "we'll make sure you get to the Homecoming dance. And Rigel, you can take M out for a nice dinner some other time. Soon," he added with another glance at Dr. Stuart. "I've already ordered pizza to be delivered."

"You both look very nice," Shim said, though it was obvious his mind was on other matters. "Now, suppose we get right to business? The dining room is probably a good place to talk."

Wordlessly, we followed him to the big table. Even though Rigel had a firm grip on my hand, I couldn't help feeling a little bit nervous. What other threat might be out there that we hadn't been told about?

Once we were seated, though, Shim's stern expression relaxed into a smile. "I want to commend you both for your actions this afternoon. Between you, you have averted a hideous threat to this planet and its people, as well as to innumerable Martians on both planets who oppose Faxon and his regime. On their behalf, I am exceedingly grateful. I would, however, like to hear how you managed it."