Chapter 23a: Astral burst (part 1)

CHAPTER 23

Astral burst (part 1)

I was so preoccupied I barely heard Trina's barbs in Health, but I reached my locker--and Rigel--after the final bell without any hint of danger or any sign of Mr. Smith. Rigel greeted me with a quick kiss, then took my hand to lead me toward the buses.

"Just a sec," I said, pulling against him. "I need to swap out some books first. On the off chance I live through the weekend, I want to be able to study for the Geometry test on Monday."

I thought my hyperbole might make him smile, but it didn't.

"I'm not sure you realize just how much danger you're in, M," he whispered as I stuffed my Geometry book into my pack, the corners of his mouth still pointing down. "I know you haven't grown up hearing about Martian politics, but--"

"Neither have you," I pointed out just as quietly. "You said yourself your parents didn't tell you the truth until you were nearly eleven and that even then you never paid attention to the political stuff. I learned about what's at stake at the same time you did. I just refuse to give them the satisfaction of running scared, that's all."

"Well I'm scared. For you. And for me. I can't lose you, M. Not now."

Something in his voice frightened me, even as his words touched me. "I don't want to lose you, either," I said softly. "I promised to be careful, remember?"

He smiled then, though it looked like it cost some effort. "I'm sorry. I know I'm being an overprotective pain. But I have good reason. Ready?"

I nodded and hitched my backpack over one shoulder but then a vibration in my pocket startled me. "What the--? Oh, it's your phone." I'd forgotten I still had it. Now I dug it out and handed it to Rigel so he could answer it.

"Hey Dad. Yes, she's right here." There was a pause while his dad talked and Rigel looked more and more serious. "Yeah, yeah, got it," he finally said. "Right." He snapped the phone shut. "Change of plans. We're going to my house instead."

"What? Why? I thought we weren't going to tell them anything else until--"

"Too late, I think." He glanced around at the other students still lingering in the hall. "We'll find out more when we get there. Come on."

He grabbed my hand and we headed for the buses. For his bus. I saw Bri staring as we passed my bus, then mouthing a question I couldn't hear. Since I obviously couldn't explain, I just waved and shrugged, making a mental note to come up with some story or other before the game tonight.

Assuming Rigel would even let me go to the game, I thought sourly. It wasn't like Smith had done anything the least bit threatening. What could be going on that his dad would know about before we did?

We barely talked to each other on the bus even though I had a zillion questions, since it was way too easy to be overheard. Instead, Rigel talked to some of the guys about football and I tried to act interested in the girls' conversation about tomorrow night's dance.

Since this was the very first time I'd have a date to a school dance, I should have been totally into their discussion of dresses and decorations and which songs they might play. But right now worry was crowding all that normal girlie stuff out of my head. Besides, it wasn't like I even had a new dress for the dance. I was borrowing an old one of Bri's.

The ride to Rigel's seemed quicker this time. "So why exactly am I here?" I asked as we walked up the long drive to his house. "Not to hide, I hope."