Chapter 1b: Shifting orbits (part 2)

CHAPTER 1b

Shifting orbits (part 2)

In Geometry, determined to get Rigel out of my head, I made a point of sitting only two seats away from Jimmy. Who still didn't notice me. Probably just as well, since I caught myself pasting a stupid, soppy smile on my face every time he turned in my direction. Why was I such a spazz around guys?

"Hey, M!" Deb's arrival was a welcome distraction until she continued, "Have you seen the new guy, Rigel?" I nodded. "What a hottie, huh?"

"Yeah, he's pretty cute." I didn't mention the strange effect he had on me. "I think Trina's already staked him out."

Deb made a sour face. "Figures. But unless he's an idiot, he'll realize soon enough that her beauty is only about one skin cell deep. Her bitchiness goes all the way to the bone."

Rigel came in ten minutes late with his change slip and even across the room I felt that bizarre twanging of my nerves again. He went to sit next to Trina, who had saved him a seat.

Because of homeroom, Geometry was ten minutes shorter than normal. That suited me fine, since I was wearing myself out trying not to sneak glances at Jimmy or Rigel. If I didn't somehow control my attention better, I'd be kissing my scholarship dreams goodbye.

When the bell rang, I hung back with Deb, afraid I'd give myself away if I got too close to Rigel. "What's your next class?"

"English," she said. "How about you?"

"Computer Apps." It was one of the few classes Trina-and Rigel?-wouldn't be in. I told myself firmly this was a good thing.

Deb and I compared schedules as we walked. Though I swear I wasn't trying to watch him, I caught a glimpse of Rigel up ahead, just as he turned a corner. The opposite direction I needed to go. Again, a good thing.

"See you at lunch," Deb said when she turned to go the same way Rigel had. I tried very hard not to envy her.

Mr. Morrison, Bri's dad, was my Computer Apps teacher and he smiled when he saw me-until I moved toward one of the gleaming new computers spaced along the tables that ran the width of the room.

"Um, Marsha, would you mind terribly?" he asked apologetically, pointing toward one of three older machines near the back, the ones we'd used last year for Keyboarding.

"Sure, Mr. Morrison, no problem," I said lightly, ignoring the snickers.

I couldn't really blame him, since last year I'd killed four computers in one semester of Keyboarding. And it wasn't only computers. I hadn't been able to wear a digital watch for . . . well, ever. They always died within a week. I was practically the only kid in school without a cell phone, for the same reason. My aunt even cringed when I used the microwave, since our last two had gone on the fritz while I was nearby.

I used to joke that the static thing was my superpower--but now I just avoided everyone's eyes as I sat down at my older computer, feeling like a freak.

Bri was in my Honors English next period. So was Rigel. Bri made a beeline for him-not hard to guess why-but I intercepted her.

"C'mon, let's sit by the window."

"But--" Bri looked over her shoulder toward Rigel with intense interest.

"We'll be further from the teacher there," I improvised. Without waiting for her reply, I headed to the opposite side of the room and she reluctantly followed me.