Chapter 23b: Astral burst (part 2)

CHAPTER 23

Astral burst (part 2)

They exchanged another one of their looks, lasting several seconds this time, then he finally nodded and pulled out his cell phone.

It seemed to ring several times at the other end before someone picked up. "Shim? Yes, we've-- No, no, she's here, with us. Wait, before you do that, listen." Quickly, he repeated everything I'd heard Smith say, then the argument Rigel and I had just used for spreading the word. "And I have to admit that she has a point. She should have a say in this," he concluded. Another silence while Shim spoke, during which Mr. Stuart's expression became even more concerned.

"Yes, she might be safe there," he finally said, "but for how long? We'd have to turn it into a fortress. (pause) No, I don't agree. I think the time for secrecy is past. (pause) MARSTAR, of course. It's the only thing fast enough. But I need your okay. Yes, all right." He hung up.

"What did he say?" I asked breathlessly. It was only my whole future on the line, after all.

"He's going to confer with the rest of the Council--they're already convening because of the emergency. He'll call me back shortly."

The next half hour seemed to last days. Dr. Stuart tried to distract us all by setting out sandwiches, brownies and milk, but none of us--not even Rigel, the eating machine--seemed to have much appetite. Even though we'd been expecting it, when Mr. Stuart's phone finally rang, we all jumped.

"Yes?"

I sat on the very edge of my chair while Shim--presumably--talked. I was already practicing arguments in case the decision went the wrong way, since I was not agreeing to the walled-up-in-Montana-without-Rigel scenario. But then Mr. Stuart gave me a little smile and my tension started to ease even before he clicked off his phone.

"They've agreed. In fact, they'll send the message themselves, since that will carry more authority, and they'll include a full account of last month's formal test to convince the skeptics. And there will be skeptics. After all, you've been presumed dead for thirteen years."

Rigel gripped my hand so tightly he nearly cut off my circulation. "And that will make Morven and Smith back off, right?" He was urgent. "Once that message goes out?"

His father hesitated before answering. "I hope so. It depends on how committed--and how desperate --they are. Some of those people are fanatics for their cause, and we don't know exactly how many of them are on Earth. Only a few, the Council claims. I hope they're right. But even if the message goes out at once, it could be a day or two before most read it. Not everyone will have immediate access to their e-mail."

"But Morven's people are the important ones, right?" I asked, some of my nervousness returning. "I mean, once they know the word has gone out, they'll have to change their plans. Won't they?"

"I hope so," he said again. "Still, the next day or two will be critical. All of us--and especially you, M--will need to be on our guard against, well, anything."

"We will be." Rigel was definite-and he didn't loosen his grip on my hand. "We'll stay right here, if we have to."

I stared at him. "But the game! It's Homecoming tonight. You can't miss that!"

"Do you think that matters to me, compared to your safety? If I have to make a choice, it's no contest." His eyes burned into mine but I could see anguish there as well as concern for me. The game did matter to him.

"But Morven's not even on his way to Indy yet, right? It takes hours to fly from California, then he has to drive to Jewel. There shouldn't be any real risk tonight. Besides, it's not like they're going to stage some big attack in the middle of a high school football game. Or would they?" I turned to his parents.