collapse

Dan POV

-

Phil and I did end up staying out too late again.

I was lucky that Tyler hadn't been paying all that much attention to me lately; he had too many tyros to work with and focus on, so I was almost free to do whatever I wanted. 'Whatever I wanted', which meant, in other words, ignore all my work and take naps with Phil pressed close to me, the stars in the sky glowing above us like omens that we would be alright.

That was, until around two days later, the morning after our third time staying on Earth until dark, Tyler came up to me while I was standing around in the office building, the slightest crease of concern above his eyebrows. I braced myself for the suspicion he most likely felt.

"Dan," He began, "I need you to kill some humans today. There's one that Connor found applicable to be a tyro, so that's your job. Then after, we need food. So the quota today is a hundred."

My mouth nearly dropped open, the relief that this wasn't about all of the work I had been missing flying right by me. "A hundred?" I echoed in disbelief. "I haven't gone over seventy in over six months. Why are we doing so many suddenly?"

Tyler raised his eyebrows, having not expected my outburst or the displeasure in my voice that came along with it. "You should be excited," He stated. "I remember when the quota got cut and how disappointed you were. I know now that Troye doesn't really Find anymore that you're on your own, but you always liked killing. What's going on today?"

"Nothing," I blurted, keeping eye contact with the other demon and nearly flinching when the flames in his eyes soared higher for a split second. I inhaled, forcing my voice to fall lower and my eyes to narrow as I tried to seem as intimidating as I used to be. "Nothing, Tyler," I repeated. "Just don't want the angels to get on our asses again, with populations and everything."

He waved a hand, looking disinterested. "They're used to us being greedy, they can deal with it."

"Right," I pretended to agree. "Are you sure there's no extra office work today?" I questioned, hoping that he would realize there was something I could do and have someone else go for the Earth work. My heart sank when he shook his head firmly.

"No, Daniel," Tyler told me. "Now go to Earth; I'm expecting a tyro and a hundred humans later. And don't forget, we have a meeting with the angels tomorrow morning."

I nodded, turning around quickly. A grimace found its way onto my lips as I walked outside, dust finding my eyes and nose more than it did while I was inside. A meeting tomorrow? I hadn't known; why hadn't Phil told me? It would be our first meeting while we were in a relationship, and I didn't know how that would work out. Meetings had ended before I had shown any affection.

With unsteady feet, I began walking towards the Find Headquarters, in hopes of finding Connor . I wondered how Phil always managed to be so graceful, when I felt so clumsy and out of place as I walked down the street of the place I'd lived in for years. I supposed if I had wings to balance out my upper body with my lower body, it might be easier.

Despite how he was still bossy and I was still afraid of him finding anything out about my life, I knew that Tyler had begun to care about me in the past few months. He always seemed to worry about if I was alright, which didn't make sense, since he knew more than anyone that I could take care of myself.

I decided not to think about it right now. It wasn't an issue, just strange, and I had enough questions in my life that I didn't need to create new ones.

When I arrived at my destination, I walked inside, following the familiar route that led to Connor's room. It was almost a little nostalgic; I hadn't been here to do a mission in ages. It reminded me of the days when Troye, PJ, and I would go on missions together. That was before my incident, and before the three of us had met with the angels, and then moved on to bigger work. I didn't miss it as much as I should, especially since if we hadn't moved on, I never would have met Phil.