find

Dan POV

-

Many humans would think that things like me don't exist.

I don't blame them. Most of them don't want to acknowledge that the veil between humanity and paranormality is a lot thinner than any of them could ever imagine. Most of them wouldn't dare consider the fact that Hell is a lot closer to Earth than it seems to be.

But Hell exists, and so do we. So do I.

We exist to wake up in the mornings and cause havoc. We eat our meals of mostly human flesh, and we get on with our "lives". Much like the humans on Earth, although none of us would ever admit it.

There's different jobs in Hell so that a demon never gets bored; some of the main ones are working with the higher ups, like Senders who run things in Satan's office and keeping track of everyone so that no one stays on Earth for too long and ends up trapped there. Then there are the Orators, who take trips up to Heaven to try and keep peace with the angels. It doesn't always work, since there are wars probably at least three times a year, but at least we make an effort. There are also Rhetors, who teach the young how to interact with life on Earth. There are Drifters, who stay on Earth for weeks at a time, studying different things. There are the Mothers and Fathers, those who have retired and now make food and medicine for everyone else.

And lastly there are those like me, called the Finders. Each week, we each get new jobs to do on Earth. We get jobs like finding humans to eat, or finding humans good enough become tyros, young demons, or finding humans to possess. We were strong enough to pretty much do anything, so a lot of Finders slacked off and just did stupid stuff to mess with the humans. I wasn't innocent of it, either.

My two best friends were Finders as well, Troye and PJ. Troye was the only one with a partner out of the three of us. He had a boyfriend named Tyler, who was very well known by every single being in Hell. Tyler was pretty much second in command, and he was Satan's most trustworthy companion. Troye and Tyler's relationship was quite a famous thing here; someone of one of the lower ranks with someone of nearly the highest rank wasn't an occurrence too common.

PJ had a crush on a Drifter named Chris, but he barely saw him because Chris was a stronger Drifter who was able to stay on Earth for up to five weeks at a time.

I, however, had my eyes set on nobody. It was often frustrating, how all of my friends were finding someone to spend their time with, and here I was, left behind.

No one noticeably aged here. When you died and became a demon, you stop aging physically, but you still aged, because once a demon got too old, we disintegrated. Currently it had been 18 Hell years since my death at 24 human years, which was 846 human years because one year here was 47 years there. We normally lived to be around 205 Hell years, and then us demons simply disappear and our soul ceases to exist.

I guess I still had time to find someone.

Today, I walked down towards the offices with my friend Caspar, an Orator, as he explained to me what they would be discussing at their meeting with the angels today. From what I understood, angels were complete assholes. They thought that everything they did and said was right, all the time, and they weren't even assertive about it. They were charming and joyful about every little thing they said and it was terribly annoying. Personally, I'd only ever witnessed this with my own eyes once, when some angels had flown down to have a conversation with Tyler while Troye and I happened to be there.

They were so bright. Sure, in Hell we had fire and flames, but it was mostly made up of crevices of blackness and the layer of gray dust seeming to cover everyone here. Angels were blindingly white; they shone like lightbulbs, except a thousand times worse. They were clean and pale, bright eyes and nice shiny hair, with giant wings and clean white gowns.