fall

Phil POV

-

Why had I done that?

This was the only thought racing around in my mind as I left Dan to meet early with Louise, my face red with heat and my lips throbbing with a pain that didn't even hurt. I could not believe that I had just kissed a demon.

I hadn't even realized my feelings stretched further than platonic until Dan had begun telling me everything he felt, spewing his love from his mouth as if it was a poison he couldn't bear to taste. I couldn't believe that that was why he had been acting weird, and I especially couldn't believe that I felt the same. It had hit me in the middle of his speech; it had hit me like a truck, the realization that all of my strange emotions and actions had all come out of me loving him. I hadn't understood, and now, it was the only thing that made sense.

I had always been unlucky. But falling in love with a demon? When could I ever get a break?

After a total of six months of our strange affairs and him changing and me changing, we had slowly been building feelings for each other. It scared me now to look back at certain moments and understand what my subconscious intentions had been. It scared me to know that I never would have even realized if not for Dan's courage in the situation.

It was pretty much set in my mind that this was simultaneously the worst and best thing I had ever done. It was the best thing for both of us emotionally, to act on the feelings, but I knew that the downsides would become apparent soon enough. An angel and a demon; as if that would ever and could ever be accepted. As if it would work.

Louise questioned why my face was so flushed, and I told her that I had flown very fast to get here; it was a lie no doubt, but she couldn't actually tell that I was lying. She never could.

My friend told me about her first day with an Earth job, mostly telling stories of the humans she had seen and the dying humans she had saved. Unfortunately, I was barely able to pay attention. My mind was still on Dan, worries flying through my mind. I wished I had had time to talk with him about what had happened. We'd kissed, sat down for an hour, and then I was gone, without even discussing it. I didn't know what we would do now, and I didn't know what it would be like when we saw each other the next day. What if he tried to forget about it? Go back to our strange friendship and pretend he didn't have feelings? But oppositely, what if it all went smoothly? What if we somehow managed to skip over any awkwardness and actually maintain a forbidden relationship? Or the worst of it all, if we argued and fought and everything ended all because of some stupid feelings. If I lost him in an instant because we were too scared.

Louise sensed something was wrong with me, and our chat ended earlier than I'd anticipated. I didn't have time to be disappointed or sorry; I was too tired and stressed to do anything but fly home and sleep.

Then, even more unfortunately, I was not granted a night to regain my energy.

Instead, I was awoken in the middle of it to a crash in my room. This surprised me because, one, I was sleep deprived and restless, two, angels don't do things in the night that involve crashing, and three, because we never visited each other at night either. I jolted upright, blinking as I stared at my room, trying to get my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I was lucky that with dying, any physical disabilities left, so I didn't need glasses like I used to when I was a human. Soon enough, I was awake enough to see a familiar form standing anxiously in the center of my carpet, slouched, feet tapping against the ground.

"Dan?" I exclaimed, my body freezing with shock as I recognized the demon. I slid my blanket off of my body and leaned forward, "You can't be here; you know that," I was wide awake now, my entire body on edge. "What are you even doing? Do you know how reckless this is?" I talked quietly as I realized how loud I had been, thinking of how close my neighbours' houses were. No one could know he was here, especially at this time of night.