light

Phil POV

-

Life as an angel can be hard sometimes.

It's definitely not hard for the big, strong angels. The ones with light in their hair and gowns so white you could blind yourself just looking at them. It's hard for angels like me, the ones who aren't respected by everyone, the ones who are in the lowest ranks.

There are tons of different things for people to do here. There are the Premiers, who pretty much run Heaven and make sure no one causes any trouble. There are the Revolvers, the ones who take trips down to Hell in order to try and make peace with the demons (something that barely ever worked, might I add). There are the Cleaners, the ones who go down to Earth and make sure anyone who dies after living a good life comes up to continue as an angel. There are the Healers, the ones who create medicines for sick angels and any humans who are about to die but aren't ready yet, so the medicine is to keep them alive.

And there are those like me, the Habitants, who farm food and take care of the animals and clean houses and basically take care of everyone else who's more worthy.

I died when I was 28, because of a car crash. The Healers hadn't tried to save me because they knew it was no use, but a group of Cleaners gently brought me up here with them. I'd lived a good 28 years as a human, and now I'd been an angel for 22 Heaven years, which was 1,100 human years. We usually live to be around 220 Heaven years, which is 11,000 human. Then we burn up in Heavenly flame and are sent back to Earth as humans to live another life as somebody new.

I'd once heard a Premier talking about how demons lived a shorter amount of time than us and then didn't even get a second chance. How depressing.

But, I guess in a way they deserved it. Only if they were a demon rightfully deserving to be a demon. Like if they had done something terrible during their human years and that's why the Cleaners hadn't chosen them, or if they killed random humans and brought them to Hell for no reason.

I'd never personally met a demon; Habitants didn't do anything important like that, but I knew that they were quite rude and deceitful. Not only that, but they were covered in dirt and wore black clothes. I couldn't decide if I wanted to meet one to witness how terrible they were, or if I didn't want to meet one because of how terrible they were. Here us angels were saving humans and giving them a good afterlife, while the demons ate them and randomly stole them from the human world.

But I would probably never get the chance to meet one anyway. I was destined to be a Habitant for the rest of my time, and even if it got tiring once in a while, I wasn't complaining. I had good friends like Zoe and Louise who were Habitants as well, and then Felix and Marzia who were Cleaners.

A lot of the Premier's talked about someone who was in charge of us all. Some called him God, some called him Jehovah some called him Prabhu some called him Abba and there were even more names that floated around. Some didn't believe he was even real, since none of us ever got to see him. I'd heard a rumor that the only Premier who ever got to see him had been sent back to Earth.

I didn't really care. If there was someone watching over us, that was cool, and if there wasn't, oh well. All I really had to focus on was my farming and cleaning, and go through each day staying positive.

"Good morning, Phil!" Came the voice of my closest friend, Louise, as she flew down from her house on the hill to start today's work. Differing from my dark black hair, her hair was a bright blonde.

I had to say Louise was my anchor. She always stayed positive, and made sure to put a smile on my face when I wasn't doing so well at putting it there on my own. I was extremely grateful to know her.