good

Phil POV

-

I was very happy that the demons were being put in place. Laws were important, even if not common, and if they were what those creatures needed to stop killing for no reason and maybe have some decency, it was what was going to happen.

The only things bothering me and making me wonder, now, were the questions involving why Korey seemed so intense about Dan, and why Dan had seemed disappointed, or even upset when the law about creating demons had been set. I didn't know what demons did when they had to go back to their regular lives, but I figured he would be having a difficult chat with Tyler.

Another thing bothering me was the question of why the dumb demon with dusty brown hair and faded brown eyes never left my thoughts. I'd been in his presence only twice now, but there was something about those eyes. There was something about the way he just seemed different from all of the other demons, in the way he presented himself, in the way he could transform from calm and dark to vicious and burning in seconds. Whatever was wrong with him was a mystery to me, and even if I hadn't met demons before, he seemed slightly unalike from his companions. Whenever I looked at him, I just felt like something was off.

Maybe that's what Korey felt, too. That was the only explanation I could make sense of.

Because of the new Hell law and the halt on all meetings due to it, I hoped my life would return to the easy farm work I'd always filled my time with before being requested to be a part time Revolver. I couldn't exactly decipher if I enjoyed talking to the demons. Being a Habitant was boring, yes, and we got treated like scum and never got told what was going on, but it was a calm lifestyle. That was just the angel that I was speaking, though. Always finding a positive to a situation, no matter any negatives a human or demon would make obvious.

I felt like I mattered when I spoke to such important people and such strange people. Like suddenly, I wasn't Phil, I was someone amazing, someone useful, someone stepping up to find a way to do the right thing. Do the good thing.

Even if "good" was technically the structure of angel existence, it still gave me satisfaction.

Despite all of these thoughts, it was necessary for me to return to my work along with Louise and Zoe, my mind less full of hectic thoughts during these times than it was when we were surrounded by the burning fires of the Underworld. We didn't have to have limits on our food since it was good, healthy food that required no killing at all. Take that, Hell.

After a couple hours, however, Felix and Marzia walked onto the fields and caught my attention.

"Phil!" Felix called, floating over to me, "Can we ask you a favor?"

I turned towards him, shrugging. "What is it?"

"Well, the thing is," Marzia began, "with the amount of humans dying and the demons not turning them anymore, there are a lot of extras that are turning into cruds because we can't get to them on time. Do you want to help the Cleaners today?"

My eyes went to my crops, and I figured that I had done enough in the morning for me to take a break for the rest of the day. Plus, if something really did need attention, I was sure that Louise could take care of it. She was always looking out for me.

"Sure!" I answered, smiling as we all lifted up to head towards the Switching Gates. I'd only been to Earth around ten times, and I always enjoyed seeing how it was different and how the humans interacted with each other. However, there was always the chance of running into a demon or two, and they were always doing the opposite of what we were doing, which was killing the humans instead of saving them.