Chapter 18: Crossing the invisible Line

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 18

'Crossing the invisible Line'

The next day Jasmine was still trying to process what happened the day before. She never expected to get that much information out of Lucas, not even in her wildest dreams. He hadn’t just surprised her, he completely blew her away with his confession. She’d always known something was eating away at him, but she never suspected the gravity of the situation.

He’d kept his promise and slept in her bed all night, holding her tightly in his arms. In the morning, he’d been awake before her and left the bed to take a shower. When she opened her eyes, he’d been sitting at her desk, his hair tousled and still slightly wet. It was quite the sight.

Jasmine sighed, remembering Lucas’ lopsided smile when their eyes met. Damn. She had to stop thinking about him. She didn’t need a distraction in her life. The sudden noise of a phone ringing startled her. Back from her daydream, Jasmine realized it was her own cell phone.

Looking at the caller ID, she noticed it was a blocked number. “Jasmine speaking,” she said as she answered the phone, sitting down on the bed. It was deadly quiet on the other side of the line. “Hello?” she asked, alert. No one answered, instead she heard a panting sound before the line went dead. Her eyes wide, Jasmine threw the phone down.

What the hell? Was someone stalking her? First that weird text, a few days later a package with a threatening note and now a phone call? She couldn’t believe it. Who would want to scare her? As far as Jasmine knew, she didn’t have any enemies. It was seriously starting to freak her out.

Maybe she should tell someone. Lucas would without doubt make it his mission to find the person behind the creepy messages. Then again, what if it was just some stupid prank? She didn’t want to worry him needlessly. Lucas would take the messages seriously and seek revenge. He didn’t let anyone mess with him or his friends.

Inhaling deeply, Jasmine picked up her phone where she threw it and put it back on her desk. Next time someone approached her, she was going to tell Lucas. For now it would just have to stay a secret.

***

Walking out of her room that night, Jasmine was surprised to see the light in Lucas’ room was still on. Usually he was out by then, hunting bars in search of his next conquest. Thinking about it, Jasmine realized it had been a while since Lucas brought anyone home with him. The first week of her stay he couldn’t seem to get enough of the women he hung out with, always flirting and looking for someone to share his bed.

Frowning, she knocked on his door, before pushing it open, revealing a shirtless Lucas on top of his covers. A soft blush covered her cheeks as she eyed his impeccable abs, the happy trail that ended at the edge of his boxer briefs and the unmistakable bulge underneath the fabric. Her mouth went instantly dry.

When her eyes finally focused on his face, Jasmine noticed he was smirking at her, a knowing glint in his eyes. Damn it. She got caught ogling him. “Hey,” she said softly, inwardly cursing when she heard how hoarse her voice sounded.

“Good evening, princess,” Lucas grinned, patting the spot beside him on the bed. Cautiously, Jasmine stepped closer, her eyes wide and her body on high alert. As she sat down, Lucas scooted a little closer until there were only a few inches of space left between their bodies.